• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps/nipple fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Compton

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Was out of shooting several years due to cataracts. After surgery went whole hog to shooting flint rifles. Recently started to shoot pistol again. Texas ML Pistol Championship Agg requires shooting a revolver, a percussion and a flintlock.

I've been having trouble with caps requiring at least 2 hammer strikes to ignite. This w both my ROA and underhammer target pistol.

Bought new nipples. 2 strikes. I chucked a nipple in the drill press and touched it w a file. Still 2 strikes. Repeated 2x still required 2. Once more and caps fall off the nipple. Squeeze the cap a little so it stays on and it STILL takes 2. I dug out some RWS caps I've had for a long time - they worked great on the ROA back then. Guess what? Yep 2 strikes.

What's up?

I'd start with a new un altered nipple. Are they mushroomed? Guess not if they falling off. weak hammer springs is a reach as both are acting up. Also NEW tin of caps.

Others know more than me...........

As the guns stayed idle for "several years", there is a good chance the oil that lubricates the hammer has gummed up.

The first thing I would do would be to take them apart and thoroughly clean everything that can move.

Then I would apply a bit of oil to the cleaned parts and put things back together.

Sounds like you are "seating" the cap with the first strike and setting it off with the second. Try seating the caps with a short dowl, NOT your thumb. Also be sure you have the correct size nipples. I'm sure someone will confirm or correct, but it seems that the rifle caps are a bit longer than the pistol caps, requiring a slightly thinner profile nipple.

Just re-read Zonie's post and he may very well be onto something. Gummed up lube may well slow the hammer fall enough to cause what you are experiencing.

As said in op, new nipples. Problem started w new caps. Went to old RWS to see if they worked. ROA disassembled and thoroughly cleaned after each outing.

Yes, first strike is seating the cap past where I can seat it using the TDC capper. Pistol caps? Rifle caps? Never heard of 'em just #11 and musket.

Will try new springs.

Cap sizes are not standard among brands. A #11 CCI is not the same as a #11 Remington etc., nor #10's. Just gotta try them until you find one that fits. Or as others have suggested a weak spring or the like.

Yep.
Just ran into a cap fit issue myself yesterday with one of my single shot pistols. Brand new nipple and the 'right sized' cap, and the cap needed a seating smack before it would go off. Then I remembered I have a couple tins of Remington #10 caps. Problem solved. They are my favorite caps as they fit every #10 or #11 nipple I have set them on.

Flintlock Bob said:
Cap sizes are not standard among brands. A #11 CCI is not the same as a #11 Remington etc., nor #10's. Just gotta try them until you find one that fits. Or as others have suggested a weak spring or the like.

Here's what cap dimensions look like. Not all 11's or 10's are alike.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/Chart7_28_11_zpsff80173f.png

Here is a pic of a Remington #11, a Winchester Mag #11 and a Remington #10.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/PercussionCapCompare.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...8-6OHZ3w1jh_19B4v_-WQizug1DeD18QjgYaF-iE4jIUQ

You can't just run out and buy any old #10 or #11! :wink: :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the nipples in a cordless drill and turn them down just a touch, a learning from Ralph Miller.

This is very true. CCI will not seat on my 1851 Navy. Other brands have worked okay. :metoo:

I increased tension on the underhammer. Just a few test fires but seems to be reliable now. Will work on the ROA this week.

To throw another wrench in the works, I just recently discovered that the new lot of CCI 11's I just bought, are a tighter fit than the previous ones I purchased about 2 years ago. Not by much, but after measuring a sampling of them they appear to have an I.D. of about .001-.002 smaller than the previous ones. That is enough to sit significantly higher on the nipple cone. If I alter a nipple to have the new ones sit where I want them, my old supply of caps tend to fall off.

Just when you think you have things figured out...

Latest posts

Back