• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caping your pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard bad things with the Colt pins, but not so much about the remington notch. And so I've loaded my Old Army with all 6.

IONBuckaroo said:
Tinker2

I am aware that there are shoulder stocks available. But I have never known anyone who actually used one. They must be pretty effective to warrant carrying one in a backpack. At the risk of hi-jacking this thread, I would like to know what you have found to be an advantage.

Thanks IONBuckaroo

Well now you do Buckaroo.

When I got my first shoulder stock it was the first time I could see any differents in accuracy between a
round ball and a good conical bullet in my handguns.

A handgun is more convenient to carry and the stock meant I did not need a rifle also. When I shoot any
handgun I shoot with one hand, with the shoulder stock it’s with two hands and pulled into my shoulder.
Shoots better, not the same as a rifle but better than just the handgun by itself.
The extra weight is nothing to me and it is strapped in the outside of the pack.

It doesn’t replace a rifle if a rifle is what you need.

I would be pleased to help with any information that I can help you with.

William Alexander

I don't carry my cap-n-ball revolvers for protection here in Alaska but rather a 4 inch 629-3 in 44.mag with Kieth bullets and load. I carry a lot when up to the cabin, hiking, fishing or on rafting trips. I find it most handy on my right quarter hip and same with a 45 Colt Bisley stainless in 5.5 inch.
Both are about as much power as I can handle quickly in a small package with the 629 getting the most use.
On the rare occasion that I carry the ROA or 58 Remington Pietta in .44 it goes on my left hip pointing down and away in an Army flap holster. These are great for en-climate weather carry but slow to get out.I carry all cylinders loaded with this holster. MD

Tinker2

Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I have thought that shoulder stocks for revolvers were a good idea on the design table, but when attached to the gun, they just did not work out very well. It's good to know they have a purpose, and a place, in black powder shooting sports.

I checked Cabella's last night and they have shoulder stocks on sale. But still a little spendy. It would be easy enough to make a stock if I decide to try one out. The more I think about it the more intriguing the idea. And I did see your pictures on the other thread.

Thanks again. You have been most helpful and informative. Enjoy your next trek.

IONBuckaroo

I have thought that it would be cool to make a stock for my Old Army that has a longer length of pull to get those caps a little further from my face. Maybe design it so that one of the grip panels is replaced that is the stock, but I'm not sure how much meat you'd need to ensure it wasn't easily broken.

M.D. - Is that 5.5" barrel on the Bisley factory? I thought they were all 7.5".

I recently replaced my sold .44 Bisley with a .45 Bisley. I have so much ammo still loaded for those MIA SAA's I figured I should jump on this one when I saw it so I can shoot the hundreds of rounds just sitting there.

I just love the grip profile on those guns. A 5.5" tube on one of those wouldmake for a terrific outdoor carry piece I would imagine.

IONBuckaroo said:
I checked Cabella's last night and they have shoulder stocks on sale. But still a little spendy. It would be easy enough to make a stock if I decide to try one out.
Yes you could probably make one if you wanted to, but I would buy rather than build one.
If I am going to build something it is most likely something I can’t buy.

If you do decide to try to make one I would take any pictures you would like, and or measurements.

William Alexander

rodwha said:
I have thought that it would be cool to make a stock for my Old Army that has a longer length of pull to get those caps a little further from my face. Maybe design it so that one of the grip panels is replaced that is the stock, but I'm not sure how much meat you'd need to ensure it wasn't easily broken.
The length of pull on my stock is 17 and ½ inches. Most of my percussion rifles, that is longer than the
Distants from the butt to the cap.

William Alexander

We don't talk about the Bisley or other cartridge arms on the open forums.

If someone wants to discuss things outside our guidelines they should create a Private Topic to the individual.

I guess what I am really asking is How Did the People Carrying a Derringer type Cap&Ball Carry?

Did They Have The Hammer Down or Did They Carry Half Cock?

Bobby Guapo said:
I guess what I am really asking is How Did the People Carrying a Derringer type Cap&Ball Carry?

Did They Have The Hammer Down or Did They Carry Half Cock?
I don't think any one knows for sure.

Even if someone wrote about their method of carrying a Deringer or some other single shot pocket pistol their answer would only apply to them.

I think it's fairly safe to say they probably had the same thoughts and used the same ideas that we black powder shooters do today.

Some probably used half cock, some probably padded the top of the cap with leather or cloth and placed the hammer down on it and some may have just dispensed with the leather or cloth and let the hammer sit on the live cap.

One thing is pretty certain in my mind.
They didn't carry these little pistols uncapped.

The guns were emergency back up weapons and when they were needed, they were needed right now, not later after they dug out the cap and finally got around to priming the pistol. :)

MD:
What I have in mind, since I am right handed, would be to have a stock made where the left grip is removed, and the stock is shaped so as to fit in it's place and screw back on with the grip screw.

The one thing I'm uncertain on is how thick it would need to be to ensure it doesn't break if dropped or mishandled somehow.

It's just an idea I entertain. Seeing the stocks for other revolvers makes me want one for my Old Army.

Bumping this back up as Ive leared a thing or two recently,

There was a company called the Manhatten Arms Company that made a copy of Colt pistols after the patent ran out in 47. To picture it in your mind, think of a 49 Pocket pistol, but with cuts in the cylinder like a Remington.

Going to research this some more, to see about the ability to modify a 49 cyl into a Manhatten.

Secondly, regarding the shoulder stock. I have a familiararity with NFA weapons(Machineguns, Silencers, Sawed off Shotguns ect) From my understanding, as long as you kept the pistol as a BP pistol, then there is no issue putting a shoulder stock on the pistol. If you have a conversion cylinder installed in the pistol, and then add the shoulder stock, you just made an Illegal Short Barreled Rifle.

I also would not have a conversion cyl and a shoulder stock together not installed, as that could be considered constructive intent.

The only way to get official word would be to ask the ATF to issue an opinion, and that is always a risk, they ruled that shoestrings were in fact machineguns once upon a time....... You might also contact someone at the factory, as Im sure they most likely have an ATF opinion already that you could carry with you if someone goes on a fishing expedition in your possessions because you were Driving while Indian, Driving while Mountain man ect......

Back