• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caping your pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been taught to keep your hammer down on an empty cylinder to keep it from firing on accident if it gets hit.

I was watching Antique Road Show yesterday and a guy had a set of Derringer type pistols. They were percussion cap pistols.

My question is did they keep them on half cock to keep them safe and if they did why can I not keep my 6 shooter on half cock to keep it from firing. I know my C&B pistols have a pin on half turn but if Derringer type pistols can be kept on half cock why can’t my C&P pistol.

The spring of that derringer will wear out if it is kept on half cock at all times just like the revolver will.

And you should keep a chamber unloaded on the revolver for safety. Until recently I had relied on the pins inbetween chambers as the primary safety measure, but forum member Dan Pharis convinced me it was not a good idea.

From a historical standpoint, on derringers and single shot pistols- does anyone know how they were carried during the time? Safety wasn't a big concern back then- they may have lowered the hammer on a live cap (obviously DANGEROUS)

may well have had a small piece of leather or lead sheet under the hammer. cock the hammer back then it falls or is pulled off.
I'm not an expert on this, just useing reason.
myself I've always kept the hammer in safety notches between chambers of mny revolvers.

my guess is that derringers were kept at half cock most the time and if the spring wore out it was replaced
It is a small relatively inexpensive gun meant for an emergency or murder. Wearing out the spring would likely be seen as inevitable and part and parcel of owning such a gun.

all just me guessing, I have no real data to provide
But specualtion can be fun. :grin:

Folks that were packing the derringers were probably expecting to have to use them; gamblers, ladies of negotiable affections, gun fighters. If the derringer was all I had between me and a beating or worse, I would carry one on half cock too.

However, today we have better choices for serious social work. Having a .44 go off while in a holster aiming at your leg or knee will really mess up your year. I'm not sure that it is worth it to take that chance today. For that matter a small derringer aimed in the wrong place will be a major hurt.

I load six chambers in my .44's when at the range. If and when I decide to holster them and carry them around they will have 5 rounds apiece.

Many Klatch

Cynthialee said:
It is a small relatively inexpensive gun meant for an emergency or murder. Wearing out the spring would likely be seen as inevitable and part and parcel of owning such a gun.
Bingo! :grin:

Bobby;
Are you wondering what "They" did, or seeking justification?

You said it, C&B have a different type of safety mechinisim (the cylinder notch or pin) than the derringers have.
You comparing apples to pine cones, :idunno:

One shooters were for anybody.
Nothing nefarious about wanting a hole puncher. Having the money for one though is another matter just like today.

Any leaf or coil spring in your gun is under tension when installed properly, does it take set and loose power? If it did it would get increasing loose over time. Granted a fully loaded spring can take set after long periods of time but one under half cock never will as it is little more tensioned than the installed spring at rest which is also under tension and never weakens under load.
Modern magazines are a good example of how long spring tension lasts when they are not left fully charged for years and still work perfectly.All that is needed is to remove the top 2 or 3 rounds and the magazine will work perfectly for as long as you want to keep it. MD

Shucks! I always thought that the ability to put the hammer down between chambers was a great idea!What exactly was the reason he had for not useing this feature? I really am just curious! With the world full of semi auto piatols with no safety I am not sure The old designs are all that dangerous! Geo. T.

he ran a wall of text on me and by the time I got to the end he had me convinced

seems to me the safest way to carry is on the pin right before the unloaded chamber so that if it gets cocked and fires by geting hung up on something it lands on an empty chamber

keeping it on the empty chamber works fine if the hammer is jamed down on the nipple some how, but if the gun gets cocked and fired by getting hung up on something the next chamber is a live chamber

By that logic if the gun is needed you have to cycle the action twice before you can fire the first round.

Cynthialee

I too would like to be convinced that hammer down on the pin between loaded chambers is not safe. By convinced I mean documented evidence of an accidental discharge. Who is Dan Pharis? I ran a search on this forum and came up with nothing. All the arguments I have seen on this subject in this forum and others consisted of shallow opinion and empty rhetoric.

Elmer Keith carried and relied daily on a .36 cal 1851 Navy Colt more than anyone on this forum ever will. If there is a recognized expert on the subject it's Elmer Keith. In his book “Sixguns,” he recommends putting the hammer on one of the safety pins after loading all six chambers.

I have no argument with anyone who caries five chambers loaded and the hammer on an empty chamber. But without documentation, let no one try to tell me that their method of carry is more safe than mine.

IONBuckaroo

I think caring charged and capped spare cylinders tops them all in potential danger of an AD and unless capped pretty much negates any reason for having them.
One of the really good flap holsters for a fully loaded revolver would help greatly in this regard I would think as there is almost no chance of snagging a hammer while caring it.MD

Cynthialee

I too would like to be convinced that hammer down on the pin between loaded chambers is not safe. By convinced I mean documented evidence of an accidental discharge. Who is Dan Pharis? I ran a search on this forum and came up with nothing. All the arguments I have seen on this subject in this forum and others consisted of shallow opinion and empty rhetoric.

Elmer Keith carried and relied daily on a .36 cal 1851 Navy Colt more than anyone on this forum ever will. If there is a recognized expert on the subject it's Elmer Keith. In his book “Sixguns,” he recommends putting the hammer on one of the safety pins after loading all six chambers.

I have no argument with anyone who caries five rounds loaded and the hammer on an empty chamber. But without documentation, let no one try to tell me that their method of carry is more safe than mine.

:haha: Yeah I do not gun fight much! I have to admit that my carry 1911 would get that duty! I do carry my 1860 when hunting with my GPR sometimes. Now I have shooting my knee or foot to worry about as well as stunbleing on rocks and busting my butt! Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back