• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap and Ball Legality in Canada...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jac Spring

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I did a couple of searches but came up with nothing but unrelated posts...

I'm just curious as to the legality of cap and ball revolvers in Canada - do they have to be registered? And how about the conversion cylinders? From what I've seen, they are considered "handguns" under Canadian law and are "restricted".

How are muzzle loaders treated under the law in Canada in general?

From my former life as an 1812 reenactor, attending very enjoyable events in Ontario, I remember that all percussion pistols were "restricted" and maybe flint lock pistols were also. Flintlock muskets and rifles were not subject to regulation and as an infantry officer reenactor I carried a sword or spontoon. Doing a private militiaman impression, I carried a flintlock musket.
I do recall at one grand event where we had reenactors from the French and Indian War through the US Civil War (3000+)that the CW guys had to pay a registration fee to bring their percussion muskets into Canada. This was in 2001. I don't know what restrictions went into place after 9/11.
The Canadian Governement had an excellent user friendly website for questions about bringing arms into the country. I suggest you try Google for more current information.

Any flintlock or matchlock rifle is not registerable. Any single shot original percussion rifle is not registerable if actually made prior to 1898. If it is a newer made item, it is the same as a modern rifle and needs a registration#.
Your caplock pistol would be a restricted weapon here, same as a modern .357. Unless you want to go through the paper work, it's probably better to leave the pistol at home.
I carry and use a flintlock musket [ all of these are classed as antiques and you do not require a PAL ie firearms license, to have one.
The government firearms web site makes this all perfectly clear.

All true.
Though ORIGIONAL c&b pistols are considered antiques and do not need to be registered to be owned or shot.

If your coming to Canada, I would suggest to just bring your flintlock..avoid all the damn paperwork, stress and nonesence.

Flintlocks just make it nice and easy!!

Any more questions on Canadian gun laws I suggest going to www.canadiangunnutz.com
Theres some really decent folk there.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Flintlock pistols( reproduction) come under restriction as well.
All I can say to our welcome US of A nieghbors is leave "ALL" handguns at home, or you will be in a pile of grief.
Every year some US citizens travel across the border with a hand gun in the trunk, motor home, suit case, brief case, or camping gear and get into a whole lot of trouble.
Once again leave the handguns at home.PLEASE!
We do value your visit and friendship.
Best Regards
Old Ford

You CAN have a repro flintlock pistol, though you cannot have the touch hole drilled :haha:

Sorry old ford.. I know...Im just being a nit pick.

You do know were in the middle of a gang war and drive bys are being done with flint lock pistols all the time :surrender:

What are they thinking when they make these laws??

You can have a old colt lightening in 41 cal sent right to your door without any documentation , but a flint lock pistol made after 1899 is a restricted arm considered the same as a glock 9mm??!! W.T.F!!:cursing:

Most gun laws make little sense and become nothing but a burden to those who like to hunt and shoot.

I believe many American citizens get into trouble by sheer ignorance. It is somewhat common for some people to have a truck gun that they forget about. Or they don't research the laws of another place when going to it. Also, black powder muzzleloading rifles, shotguns as well as handguns( cap and ball included) are relatively free of restrictions in the US. Even in my home state of Massachusetts you don't need a license to carry for a cap and ball, unless you actually carry it. So many assume that is the rule elswhere.

Canada is a neat place to visit. Mary and I went there a couple of years ago to the Niagara area and then to Toronto( not so nice but at least we saw it) .I sort of liked the Niagara Gorge and the view of the Escarpment as we went along the shoreline of the wine country.

I would like to hunt( it would be neat to do a black powder winter caribou hunt) Canada one day but right now the money and fuel situation is preventing that from happening.

Back