• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

can't dry my barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated Shooter Choice bore cleaner or Carb./ Brake cleaner will remove the factory preservative in the barrel. I like to clean with windshield washer fluid,others like soap & water. I use denathured alcohol to help dry out the bore after it's flushed out clean.A couple of wet alcohol patches then I reassemble the rifle after cleaning the lock.The last thing I do prior to putting the gun away is run a wet patch down the barrel soaked in Barricade. I have had no issues with rust in any of my rifles. :thumbsup: The next time i'm going shooting I run a couple of alcohol patches down the bore to remove any remaining oil deposits and then load the rifle...some may say it's over kill but it works for me :idunno:

armakiller said:
First thing I would do is throw away that TC no.13 bore cleaner, its worst than useless. Just some water with a dash of dishsoap is all ya need to clean your barrel, follow it with a patch of alcohol then oil it. Second if you have more "brown stuff" in there shooting it will just turn it into a tar like substance. Use some brake or carb cleaner to get the rest of the stuff out before shooting it anymore.

I guess great minds think a like :idunno: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Some just type faster than others :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup:

I can't say for sure on the TC # 13 I've never used it. :idunno: :v

The patches are catching on the vent liner which is intruding into the bore. Remove it and grind/file down the inside so it won't intrude and catch patches.

hanshi said:
The patches are catching on the vent liner which is intruding into the bore. Remove it and grind/file down the inside so it won't intrude and catch patches.
T/C barrels have Patent Breeches...jag & patch stop on top of the Patent Breech mouth and don't go down near the vent

armakiller said:
First thing I would do is throw away that TC no.13 bore cleaner, its worst than useless.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using T/C #13 as a general purpose cleaner/bore swab used during a shooting session. It probably will not remove preservative oils from a new barrel, but a patch lightly dampened with it works just fine for swabbing between shots. It's made from polydimethylsiloxine in an aqueous solution. That basically means that it's a silicon-based organic polymer that is mixed with water. It is one of several types silicon oil, and one of it's more common applications is that it is used in shampoo. So use up what you have at the range and then save your money, it's really nothing more than glorified soap and water!

BPS

Thanks again for all the help guys!! I agree with all of ya'll on the #13 being nothing but "glorified soap and water" but it was given to me as a gift so I'm just going to use it up. I have found that,as was stated earlier,that it works well for a "range cleaning" but I would not buy any more of it nor do I use it exclusively to clean my guns. I use it out of convenience of the little squirt bottle only.I did not get time to "work" on my barrel last night because the wife had a honey-do list ready when I got home from work but I will get back on it hopefully tonight. Thanks again for all the help!!

IMO that #13 stuff is much worse than useless.

It formed flash rust in my revolver bores faster than I could wipe it out.

I was so amazed I thoroughly cleaned a unfired pistol and then ran a patch dampened with #13 thru the bore.
The patch came out clean but when I immediately ran a dry patch thru the bore the #13 had beaten me to the punch and flash rust had already formed.

Just an update on my barrel. I went home last night and swabbed my barrel with carb. cleaner as was recommended by Brown Bear and after 4 patches saturated with carb. cleaner the "brown stuff" was gone.I will say that the barrel feels "slicker" than it did before the brown was removed.I have not slugged this barrel but I still believe this barrel is "tighter" than the average .50 judging by jag/patch fit compared to my other .50's.I think a combination of the "tightness" of the bore and the stickiness of the "brown stuff" was the culprit.I can't say for 100% sure,but I think my problem is solved,only a good cleaning after the next trip to the range will tell for sure. Thanks again to all who helped out here,and as I said before,I will return the favor one day.!! :hatsoff:

Years ago I was told on this site : "100% clean. 100% dry. 100% lubed." If you can recover to that state, you should be good forever. God Bless, Good smoke, Ron in FL

WH.50 said:
Just an update on my barrel. I went home last night and swabbed my barrel with carb. cleaner as was recommended by Brown Bear and after 4 patches saturated with carb. cleaner the "brown stuff" was gone.I will say that the barrel feels "slicker" than it did before the brown was removed.I have not slugged this barrel but I still believe this barrel is "tighter" than the average .50 judging by jag/patch fit compared to my other .50's.I think a combination of the "tightness" of the bore and the stickiness of the "brown stuff" was the culprit.I can't say for 100% sure,but I think my problem is solved,only a good cleaning after the next trip to the range will tell for sure. Thanks again to all who helped out here,and as I said before,I will return the favor one day.!! :hatsoff:

Sounds like you're on course now. Let the fun begin! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back