• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cannot get my flintlock to ignite the powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hawkeye,don't know where here in Carolina you live but,,you can't find GOEX here an when you can it is expensive. :surrender:

Where do you live? Here in Virginia, I have had Goex delivered to my door for less than the local shop sells Pyrodex.

Back to the original poster, there are many opinions re powders, flints and everything else, and while some may argue that their pet powder, flint, etc is better, I have never heard of anyone who could not get good performance using 3f Goex and Tom Fullers black English flints. If that combo does not get you shooting reliably, then it would appear to be a lock, vent or obstruction problem........

I know it's hard to conceive but Pyrodex is all I can afford.

Mike,
You can order real blackpowder online and have it shipped right to your door. If you order 5 lb it will cost you about $100. Order more and it's cheaper by the pound because the same HazMat fee covers the whole shipment.
With the subs costing $25-$30 a lb plus the gas to go buy them, it's about the same or less $ to use the real McCoy and it works WAY better in flintlocks!

mtmike said:
hawkeye,don't know where here in Carolina you live but,,you can't find GOEX here an when you can it is expensive. :surrender:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

if you order 10 pounds of schuetzen or grafs brand powder from the link above its $15.34 per pound. this includes shipping and hazmat!

there is no good excuse to use the fake stuff unless the real stuff is outright illegal in yer area.

-matt

Last edited by a moderator:
5 # for $100.00 :rotf: might as well be $1000.00, I told you guys I have no money to spare

mtmike said:
5 # for $100.00 :rotf: might as well be $1000.00, I told you guys I have no money to spare

if your so broke how do you afford the more expensive pyrodex... nevermind, i give up. :surrender:

-matt

Use it or lose it over here we can't get goex anymore the importers won't bring it in because they say the amount they sell isn't worth it any more . The last lot I purchased 3 years ago I payed $35 a lb, all we get now is wano and it is $70 a kg. You know what caused the drop in goex sales wombles racing out and buying tons of this new fangled imatation manure well they don't shoot anymore and those of use left have to suffer the result of their stupidity so harden up ,man up and make the effort or you will stuff every thing up. Listen to these guys that have been shooting black powder for eons they know , they have sampled these other wonder powders . SORRY GUYS just had to get that particular bug out of my backside . :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

its called budgeting

Yep. $1 a day for 6 months and send in your order for 10 pounds. Do that and you just saved yourself $100-$150 on powder, you get to use the real thing, you get better performance, and you still have a few bucks leftover.

Cut a slit in the lid of an old coffee can and tape the lid shut so you can't open it and see the $ you're saving (so you won't be tempted to spend it). Put $1 in there every day. Write the date for 6 months from now on it and don't open it until then. $1 a day won't kill your budget, you'll probably never even notice it. One less cup of coffee, soda, candy bar, 4 or 5 smokes...
Put in the $ you were going to spend on a can of Pyrodex and the gas to go get it and knock a month off.

Every time you open a new can of powder charge yourself for it and put the $ in the coffee can. Next time you need to order some more you'll already have the $ saved.

There's ways, and there's excuses.

Or just keep doing it the way you're doing it now. Spend extra $ for poor performance. :surrender:

Thanks for the info Zonie. I am ignorant as can be on the geometry nuance of flint locks. I still have not been able to get my flint target pistol to spark reliably and have been looking for things to try as you have suggested.
So far I have changed the pitch angle of the cock jaws in relation to the frizzen. And given the frizzen face one treatment of casenite but the flint still seems to cut into it and I suspect it is still to soft.
It does impact at 2/3rds of the height of the frizzen now but still no reliable spark.
I also took two coils out of the hammer spring to tighten it up some.
I have a friend up the road that has the same gun and it is as reliable as can be so maybe I can get a look at his and get some help. MD

Now that's a good idea! Amazing how much "incidental" money slips through our fingers each day without thinking about it.
We generally go in on a group buy and bring in multiple cases. Some of the BP cartridge folks I know go through a case or more a season. That's twenty five or more pounds folks. Some of those buffalo cartridges will hold over 100 grains and a match typically uses up 42 rounds. MD

mtmike said:

I live near Greensboro, the local Goex distributor is near Winston...The last Goex I bought from him ran about $12 a pound...

I don't know much but I started shooting flintlocks in the 70s and I do know how to make them go off... :)

photo-1.jpg

There's ways, and there's excuses.

Pretty good plan, if you want to shoot next SUMMER!
Not so much, if you want to go this hunting season.
(Was that an excuse?) :hmm:

Back