• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Lantern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to build a candle lantern. Does anyone know where I could get plans /pictures? Are there different styles for different times in history? I would like to build one styled after the lanterns of around 1800. Also any suggestions on candles, were they pure beeswax? Thanks-Flint50

one of the things that I have noticed a great number of lately are what they call "peg lights" which are small oil lamps that have a stump in the bottom that will fit a candle hole. They are cleaner, easier to use, and cleaner, and won't light your lantern on fire...

I have three that burned up because of candles.

Beeswax is PC, and I like them with thick wicks--they seem to burn more effieciently.

Also, I have run across many small oil lamps--and I have some made by a local potter that work really well when I put the right wick in them ... :shake:

Anyway, maybe we ought to run a "making a candle lantern piece" in Buckskinner. I have made a ton of them and my design was pretty simple to do and easy to maintain.

Just PLEASE, what ever you do, don't put candle lanterns on a blanket for a prize...lol....I'm sure that someone will back me up on this.

No Deer might also let you in on his design...well, the design he stole...erm..."improved upon". It's okay, though, I stole my design from him and another guy.

:blah:

Sounds like Flint50 is looking for a pc lantern. Not sure mine is very pc, I tend to doubt it, but it is a nice looking one. If he wants I can maybe send him plans for it.
NoDeer

I know it's not very PC but one of my buddies made me one out of brass framed glass ceiling fan globes (ya know, where the bulb goes) soldered together with a box frame. It works great and will withstand rain and wind without any trouble. :results:

Stumlin Buffler,
even a piece on candle making itself
would be nice. the way it was done then not now!
just a thought
snake-eyes :peace: :hmm: :) :hmm:

Thanks guys for all your help. My wife is starting to get into this old stuff, and she wants one. you know the ol saying, "if mammas not happy, then NOBODYS happy! thanks again-Flint50

Making beeswax candles is an easy process.
Go to a craft store or Wal-mart and buy some candle wicking- it's just cotton but the diameter of the wick will determine how fast the candle will burn.
You can get beeswax at the craft store too, but I'd suggest looking around for a local beekeeper who might be able to supply you with cheaper wax. It usually sells for about $8.00 a pound.
Put the wax in an empty coffee can and place the can in a saucepan of boiling water. This keep the wax from getting tooo hot and catching fire. The wax will melt quickly.
Tie pieces of wicking to an old coathanger- I generally do 4 at a time- of about the length you want to make the candle. I also generally attach a fishing weight to the bottom to keep it straight at first. You can remove it after the candle has been dipped a few times.
The next step is to dip the wicking into the melted wax. I'd suggest doing this away from the stove on newspaper.
Dip each wick into the melted wax. Let it cool a bit then do it again- that's why I use hangers. You can hang them to cool. It's not a fast process, but it's as old as candles. Keep dipping the candle into the wax until the wax cools. If your candles aren't the size you want, reheat the wax amd continue.
While your candles are still warm, you can cut off the bottom so it's flat ( and get rid of the wieght if you didn't do it before). If they're lop-sided you can bend them into shape and then dip them in cold water. That will firm them up and they'll keep their shape. A candle 6" tall and about 1 1/2" at the base will burn about 6-8 hours. Save the wax including any leftovers from candles you burn. Dump them back into the wax can and make some more!
Bill :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back