• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tallow candle experiment - The best laid plans of mice and men ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the last several years everytime I cooked beef ribs in the crockpot with beef bones, I would take the hardened fat and the marrow fat off the top and save it. I finally had alot of the saved fat so I thought I would make tallow candles. I rendered the fat several times in water to purify the fat removing all impurities. Once pure, I added a pint jar of pure white medical grade beeswax pellets to the rendered liquid fat, heated the whole thing so it was all liquid then let it cool outside where it was cool. What I ended up with was about 3 pounds of the perfect patch lube !! It never got hard like a candle should be. Sigh .... This is not what I was hoping for. I guess in the long run, it is perfectly edible if you were needing some fat for your frying pan to cook up squirrel or venison in camp. It smells really great as beef fat should.
So I went to the butcher last week and acquired 5 pounds of REAL beef fat right off the cow and I'll give my candle experiment another go here soon. In the mean time, I'll fill a couple of quart jars of the patch lube fat. Hopefully, I can find some small tin containers and give it away ...... This is 10 lifetimes of patch lube and I surely only need one small tin for myself.

Attachments

• patchlube.JPG
    patchlube.JPG
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Good luck with the candles, honest.
I think the terms we use today for Tallow, Suet and Fat have morphed compared to historical use when select fats from select areas of animals processed each had a specific use.
Even suet from the store for bird feeders is different than what Great-grandma got off the kidneys.
There were Candles and Betty lamps for a reason,

I was a chef for many years and had a ready supply of good beef fat. I made tallow candles for many years, poured in jelly jars with macrame holders for camping. Back in the old days when tallow candles were common, they would wrap them up and keep them in the ground to keep cool in the warmer months because they are not quite firm enough to handle hotter air temps. In a jar, it doesn't matter too much.

Cool. Ive used beer cans and pop cans to make candles with the fat ...I just filled the cans then put a cotton string and hung it from a stick or pencil till the fat , suet, solidified.. Works good . You can use jars too. Some fats so can pop the candle out of the can , cut side if need be , but others I left in the can or jar , the softer ones . The deer fat candles drove me crazy with its smell ! I love my deer meat ! :)

Just poured off a bunch of bison fat from browning some ground buffalo for tacos, etc., BEFORE seasoning the meat. Put it in a jar in freezer... I suspect a lot of it may be beef fat, but I'm looking foŕward to seeing how some patches lubed with it will work. Have been using Crisco and generic subs for it for 37 years...

Back