• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp and Trekking Food Favorites.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Native Arizonan said:
You don't sprout yours first? Or is that what you refer to as steeping?
:haha: ....Yes I malt it first.
I was just speaking generally and with humor...

I've grown my own grains, malted them, roasted/kilned them into specialty grains, even made crystal malt and have malted other grains like corn.,
I agree it's best/easier to let the maltsters do what they do best, but I'm not a fan of extracts.

I agree it's best/easier to let the maltsters do what they do best, but I'm not a fan of extracts.

It's sorta like, if you just want some ale, that's similar to what you buy (inexpensive) at the local beer store, just without the chemical preservatives..., vs. something higher quality with more depth of flavor.

Same situation..., you can crank out a few biscuits with generic self rising flour, water, and some shortening, or you can make biscuits with whole wheat, stone ground flour, baking powder, a pinch of sea salt, milk, and some lard or maybe bacon grease. Served with fresh churned butter. :grin: :grin: :grin:

LD

nice fat young possum where there's plenty of mast for the game to munch on. scald and scrape, into a DO over medium fire for couple hours. onion, chunked sweet tater and soaked dried hot pepper sprinkle salt.

:grin: I’ve eaten some unusual foods, and pretty much judge if folks eat it it’s worth a try. However I’ve never been able to get past skinning a ”˜possum. There were several time I was going to give it a try but after getting the skin off I gave up on my hunger. I know it’s traditional fare but I just could never get my self to try it.
”˜Possum on the half shell, armadillo, ain’t never made it on my plate either.

When I was a kid my Dad killed a possum and my Mom cooked it up with sweet taters and carrots. Six kids and parents sat down to eat and couldn't keep a bite down it tasted so bad. Dad through it all out into the yard and the hounds tried it and it tasted so bad they all started licking their butts to get the taste out of their mouth. :bull:

Things I have never eaten ---- K 9 of any kind, possum, snakes. Pretty much everything else. Never had the chance to eat rattler but would like to try it some time.

Things I have never eaten ---- K 9 of any kind, possum, snakes. Pretty much everything else. Never had the chance to eat rattler but would like to try it some time.

Things I have never eaten ---- K 9 of any kind, possum, snakes. Pretty much everything else. Never had the chance to eat rattler but would like to try it some time. :thumbsup:

Snake is very lean. Cooked it on the grill last time - it was dry and stringy. Next time will be made into soup or cooked by some moist heat method.

Try cutting in to slices about three inches long. Put in to frying pan and add water to about half the thickness of the meat. Bring to a hard boil till you have reduced your water by half. Remove meat and most of the water. Add olive oil and diced onions, cook off the last of the water and let onions brown in oil. Then remove. Add a little butter and garlic then sauté some mushrooms in the butter then remove. Add the meat in and brown return the onions then using butter and some left over water and flour make a rou. Pour over the meat and simmer till it thickens add back the mushrooms then serve over noodles or biscuits or mashed potatoes, or just slice stale or toasted bread. You will become a snake hunter. :wink:

I had some rattlesnake from a large 6 footer, that was breaded and fried like pieces of chicken. It resembled chicken backs, except the rib bones were much thinner. It was moist and tender enough, and good. The taste and texture was more like frog legs than anything else I can think of.

sidelock,

It depends on what the possum has been eating. = IF his diet has been good the possum will be GOOD eating. If NOT it may be POOR or even just TERRIBLE.

Btw, the same goes for pigs. = I once killed a about 60 pound "wee piggie" (that I had planned to BBQ) & we ended up throwing it all away. = I cannot tell you what that shoat had been eating but his meat didn't even SMELL even somewhat OK.

yours, tex

The first winter I moved to Arkansas I put out a trap line. I came from the west and had never seen a opossum. I had baited with cat food. I had several opossums in my traps, along with coon and a bobcat.
I thought great, I can use this ”˜possum meat for bait. Results almost all empty traps, I did get a blue jay on one set.
Makes you wonder why a fox cat or coon won’t eat it :idunno:

Back