• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Blue Ridge - what do you think?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondoro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I believe it is made by Pedersoli. 54 Caliber. Full length stock.

Thanks for any advice.

I just commented on this gun in a different post on Hawken vs Longrifle. My .54 blue ridge was an excellent shooting gun. Very accurate with a 90 gr load of 2F and a .530 RB and .015 patch OR a Hornady Great Plains conical...even with the slow 1-65 twist.

The forestock is ugly as sin with a ton of extra wood, but then most production guns have too much wood on them.

These guns have a patent breech, so require careful cleaning to be sure you are getting that smaller chamber clean.

The front sights are WAY too tall and require a lot of "downsizing," but nothing a small file cannot easily handle. I'd cut the "buck horns" off the rear sight and make it a flat top.

I actually took one of these and completely reworked it. Here's the pictures of what I did and the resulting "refined" rifle.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100435142@N08/albums/72157650877821348

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only speak for the .50 caliber version but we use one , along with a T/C Greyhawk, for our state sponsored shoot to introduce high school kids to the shooting sports. It's a three day event and we average 75 to 125 kids each day and they all get a minimum of two shots...more if there's time during the relays. The gun is about 8 years old now and the event is twice yearly. Only once did we have to take it out for about 5 minutes while I re-cleaned the patent chamber. We start each day with a clean gun and then will clean again at the start of the lunch hour break. Most kids like the 'big' one and it probably gets more action than the Greyhawk. I'd give it very high marks for reliability and service.

We use basics of .490" ball, .015 pre-lubed patch and 60 grains of FFFg...has worked for years. Accuracy is good enough for first timers to hit the bull at 25 yards and the iron ram at 100 yards fairly consistently. We have to operate 'down & dirty' simply because of the time restraints of allowing that many kids to have a couple of go's at it. Can't ask for much more.

WOW! Talking about turning a pig's ear into a silk purse! That is great work you did; actually "building" a different rifle from it. What a transformation.

I've got one in caplock .32 and it's accurate and I think good looking. I converted it with an iron buttplate and trigger guard and IMO it looks a lot better. The front of the original trigger guard broke and I had to expoxy the replacement in.

The forend could be smaller and there is no endcap, but it's a very good rifle that shoots well. Not especially PC; I think the lock has coil springs.

I like this place, lots of info here thanks for having me :surrender: :surrender:

Back