• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Lube Recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7shortmag

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read on here a while back about a bullet lube, there was a name for it that I forget.
I believe it contained beeswwax, mutton tallow and olive oil.
Can anyone tell me the name of that recipe and give me the correct amounts for making up a batch?
Thanks!!

Me thinks you just have to mix the proportions to suit the task at hand.
My version is LOOB (lanolin, olive oil and beeswax). Melt the wax, stir in a little lanolin, keep adding oil until it cools to the consistency I need.
Eye of next and toe of frog are optional. :stir:

You mix amounts of warm, melted beeswax with warm olive oil or fat like lard. (Don't use salty bacon fat) IF you get hold of some beef fat like suet used for salami making....that tends to be the hardest of the animal fats so when rendered into tallow it still might be very stiff with the beeswax. Better to use lard than suet tallow.

The more beeswax that you use the stiffer the lube in warm weather. So a mix of one part wax and one part warm olive oil (a 50/50 mix) will give a very stiff lube. Works well in hot weather on conical bullets, but has to be rubbed into the cloth when using it for patching.

I like to use one part beeswax and two parts olive oil for patching lub ( 1/3 wax and 2/3 olive oil). It makes for good lube, good grease for a lock or mocs, and emergency chapstick. In a pinch if I had it in a tin, I could fashion a wick and make a candle to help me get the fire going. The beeswax keeps the olive oil or lard from going rancid. You have to mix the two while warm and let them cool.

IF you find you don't like the smell after it sits on the self for a year, OR you are worried about "cover scent" you can add a few drops of food grade peppermint oil, if you think it's necessary.

You will tend to get thicker fouling from using a lube over using a spit patch, but just swab like every other shot if you're testing it at the range, and you should be fine.

The other nice thing about this lube is that it's non-toxic so little fellows like my son many years ago who get into everything, merely become a bit more "regular" if they decide to eat a cake since it smells a bit like honey. :wink:

LD

Now that others have given you their recipes for bullet lube, and they are good ones, I will interject a little trick that I learned. After mixing the melted wax and lubricant(s), I whip in a tablespoon of Murphy's Oil Soap. Just use a fork to whip the mixture until it starts to solidify. It will make your lube creamy, but not necessarily softer, and seems to keep the fouling down. The fouling that does form is softer and more easily wiped from the bore. However, the soapy taste it will impart will eliminate the possibility of it being used as a lip balm.

I use equal parts of crisco (butter flavor) and bees wax (from my bees). Usually mix up about enough to be the size of my big fist, and add around 1 T of olive oil.

I use this for my bullets that I hunt with and shoot in competition.

Fleener

I believe what you are looking for is Emmert's lube recipe. 50% beeswax, 40% fat and 10% oil. Add more oil for cold weather shooting or if you want to use it as a patch lube. I melt it at low heat and soak my wool felt wads in it, then lay them on a paper towel to dry for use in my smooth bore.

there are as many receipes as their are people mixing it up. I myself prefer 80%lard 20%beeswax above freezing , pure lard below. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back