• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build a Range Rod!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I'm going to make one for my pistol and have some 1/4" rod I'm going to make it from. I didn't think of adding a brass tip, I was just going to tap the end of the rod directly. Is there any reason not to do that?

The antler handles are awesome...

Fred

Fred I would drill and tap the end if it were me,the last photo will explain why .Also for a small cal it wont interfear with the patch if its too big. I would use stress proof rod also ,a 20 ft piece will be cheaper than the hardware stuff. Curt

Thanks! A 3' piece of "weldable steel" (definitely not stainless) was under $4 at my local hardware store. They had 5/16" as well, but I figured 1/4" would give me enough margin with a 10-32 thread. 5/16 just looked a bit heavy for a foot-long range rod. I do have a lathe, so centering the tap drill won't be a problem. I'll post some pics once I get underway.

Fred

My reason for attaching the ramrod tip is simply because I don't have a lathe or any other suitable tooling to drill and tap with the precision needed to center the threads.

Was trying to keep it simple for the guys like me who don't have a machine shop out behind the house. :haha:

I enjoy my toy's, but what does one do with 30 rods at one event?

Was thinking the same thing. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I take five, but that's because I usually go with a group of 3 to 5 family members and that way I know there will be a rod available for everybody. They often leave home half equipped! :haha: :idunno:

juice jaws said:
I enjoy my toy's, but what does one do with 30 rods at one event?

The number just sorta grew over the years. When I was younger I would shoot many matches over an event with multiple rifles. I carried (still do) in a large fishing rod case. Left in the case are wood (traditional rods for when/if needed). Also one range rod for each caliber being shot. Plus a couple I would use to help other shooters with problems. Then I got on a kick of making rods, some of which have never been used. e.g. brass with crystal doorknob handle. Oh, well. :doh: They are in the case, easier to pick it up and toss in truck than to sort out the ones I might need. And, more better, to have all than not when I might be able to help another shooter with a problem. I know, still overload. Just don't embarrass me by saying it out loud. :wink: :redface:

hawkeye
1144 also sometimes referred to as Stressproof ®, is a carbon-manganese grade which is severely cold worked to produce high tensile properties. The bars are specially treated to relieve the stresses set up by the cold drawing, thus minimizing the tendency to warp after machining which is common in ordina. 1144 cold roll bars have high strength hardness, without the need of heat treatment. 1144 has the combination of free machinability, minimum warp, high strength, and a good wear resistance not found in ordinary metals. Stressproof ® is a registered trademark of the LaSalle Steel Corporation.

Well, saw yours and made one. the supplied ramrod with my rifle really is hard on the hand , and is a little short. the steel rod was hanging around, weighs about a lb and a bit, and two different 8mm casings, one rimmed and one rimless,both range finds, the treasure my buy picks up at the range for me. soldered and pinned the rimless case, then divoted the base to cup the ball. will drill and tap for various attachments later. the bore guide is a 8mm x 56 rimmed case. no idea what shoots these. drilled out the primer pocket to just under 3/8 and it sits PERFECTLY ALIGNED in the muzzle of my .50. no handle yet, that is coming when i decide what i want or what i find in my junk pile. it has a bend that works for now.
hope to try it out next week, the weight from the steel rod should help seat the ball a lot easier.

Latest posts

Back