• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build a Range Rod!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
will be off to a shoot in a few weeks and will be taking along some new shooters. After taking inventory on my range rods, I decided I needed at least one more.

Questions about range rods come up pretty often here so I decided to sorta document this one to show how simple and economical it is to just make your own. No need to wait for an online supplier to ship one or drive around looking for one locally.

I'll warn you in advance; the final product is not very pretty! But, it is very functional. I have build many of these over the years and all are still working without breakdowns or failures.

I start off with a steel rod from the hardware store or the big box. This one is nickel plated steel. You can use brass too, but the steel is less costly. It does not need to be nickel plated. Plain old steel works fine and your dirty greasy hands will prevent it from rusting. This rod is 5/16". The pictured ramrod tip is 3/8" OD and 5/16" ID. The steel rod will slide into the ramrod tip with a little dressing with a file.

rr1_zps660zhq2a.jpg

First step is to insert the rod and simultaneously drill a hole through both like this.

rr3_zpskutyyoqt.jpg

Once drilled it will look like the pic below. No need to be anal about centering, etc. The only thing that matters is drilling a hole through both pieces at once so you can pin it.

rr4_zpshjgrbzo9.jpg

Next, you will either solder or glue the tip in place with the pin inserted. I chose to solder this one, but epoxy or JB weld is much simpler and just as effective.

In this case I drilled with a 1/8" drill but the largest pin stock I had handy was 3/16" :shocked2: Oh well, you know what they say about neccessity and invention! I settled on the hook from a plastic hanger that was a pretty good fit. Other options: The shank of the drill you used to drill the hole or a nail.

I fluxed these parts before soldering but it may no have been needed since a piece of acid core solder turned up. Either way, you do it like a plumber solders copper pipe joints. Clean it up, flux, heat the parts in place and then apply solder to the heated parts. The solder readily flows into place.

Like I said, epoxy or JB Weld is much simpler! :haha:

rr9_zpsepz0qzpe.jpg

rr10_zpskksv6asr.jpg

Now is a good time to discuss bore guides. I reccommend a bore guide but suppose they are not absolutely essential. This first one is your conventional bore guide with a 5/16" ID rod hole through it.

rr6_zpst18h9xlk.jpg

Next is the economy model. These are plastic inserts that fit into a hole in the bottom of a chair leg to insert a roller wheel into. Hardware store item at about $2.50 for a three pack. For a 3/8" rod the hole through needs to be relieved a bit with a 3/8" drill to get a fit on the rod.

rr7_zpsauyaugn3.jpg

Now for the handle end. The handle you attach is limited only by your imagination. I have used steel rods attached at a 90 deg angle which works good. The easy simple and effective route is a hardwood ball from the hobby store. This one is a marble door handle that I came across at a garage sale and bought for .50 cents. The hole is square and needed to be opened up just a bit with a 5/16" drill. Then another hole was drilled across the handle and the rod. You would do this the same way with a wood ball. Just drill the hole and then drill across it for your pin. Don't fudge on the pin! It is needed to assure that your joint stays together. Same as the ram rod tip we already did. For this handle I used the same hanger hook wire and the same 1/8" drill. Not knowing how the door handle would respond to heat, I used JB Weld on this end.

Before you attach your handle, be sure to slide your bore guide on first! The bore guide is permanent since it is captured by the handle and the ram rod tip.

Just glue it up with a liberal amount of JB. Here it is glued up and with a light bulb under it to speed up the curing process. It cured up completely in about three hours.

rr14_zpsaqa7my7l.jpg

Next, we dress the pins and the surrounding glue and solder with a file. Not the prettiest file work, but like I said, it's not real pretty. Just about anybody here can do a better looking job than mine!

rr16_zps7xsfwayo.jpg

rr15_zps8j4427vn.jpg

So, starting with a 36" rod, we finished with a rod that has about a 35" working length. For longer bores, 48" rods are available.

So, that's how that is done. Pretty simple, eh?

Total investment in this project including all parts was about ten dollars.

You might be able to buy a perfectly good range rod for ten dollars or just a bit more, but if you are like me, you might rather just do it yourself. Kinda what much of this hobby is about! :)

Hey, that will work. :thumbsup:

I've made my own for years. I use 5/16" SS rod & buy it in 20' lengths. Sometimes I offer them in with a cleaning/maint. kit when I build a rifle for someone.

I drill & tap the rod on one end for 8-32 up to .40 cal & then or 10-32 threads on .45 & larger cal. By drilling & tapping the end of the rod, it is more versatile as you can get the rod in smaller bore rifles down to & including a .32 cal.

On the handle end I drill a hole & pin it sometimes, sometimes not. But I always glue them with Devcon 2000 epoxy. Have not ever had one come off. If I just glue it, I roughen the end going into the horn & grind a couple small grooves around the shaft.

I normally use a piece of deer antler on the end of my range rods.

Keith Lisle

I envy you guys who have the tooling to build them that way. Do you buy the stainless local? Seems like shipping on a 20' item would be pricey?

I am always building something with steel in the shop, piddling around. Use lots
of angle iron & flat iron & etc, so when I need some, I just order a length of
the SS rod as well. Drive about 30 miles to get it, but I am going anyway, as just
down the block is a motor shop I use to bebuild motors & gens for me.

The stainless is 303, and it is real tough & VERY easy to break a tap off in it.
I cut to length & put it in the lathe & turn the end flat & then I use a Center-drill
& start a center hole. Then I drill it slowly using a HSS bit & cutting oil.
I tap it using a Spiral 2 flute tap from MCS & have to go in 1/4, back out 1/4,
back in to tension & then 1/4" more, back out. I start the tap in the lathe, then
unchuck it & tap by hand. Tap in about 1/2" depth & take it out & blow the chips
out with air & then tap some more. You break one off, don't even mess with the
tap, just cut the rod & start over. I probably made ? 35-40 range rods, as
the rifle customer cannot buy the Maint. kit misc. parts nearly as cheap as
I buy it all in bulk & sell the kit @ cost when they buy a rifle.

One of these SS rods never rusts, don't wear out, will not wear the bore as it is
hard & slick, (But I still use a bore guide), will last Many lifetimes.

I have made them out of 3/8" brass rod as well. Prob. have 4 of them and also
a very small one for under .32 cal. Don't like the brass as well. It works Fine,
but it tarnishes & when you clean the rifle the tarnish comes off on your hands &
is a bugger to get it our of the cracks in your hands, if you have a working mans
hands like I do.

Keith

marmotslayer said:
I envy you guys who have the tooling to build them that way. Do you buy the stainless local? Seems like shipping on a 20' item would be pricey?

I have wanted a lathe all my life. One day a guy advertised this one on ALR site
& I bought it & picked it up at Friendship. I think I paid ? $600. for it
& it is a ole Atlas lathe & has much more Misc. than I will ever use.
I just piddle with it. But the nice thing is when I want a mandrell to form a
RR pipe or whatever, I can turn it. Later I bought all the tooling from
a gunbuilders shop & there are 2 lathes & a mill in that stuff, never have
set them up. Then a guy gave me a 3" machinist lathe that needs 1 gear, it
is sitting too. So basically I have a bunch of junk & use a little of it. :doh:

Oh.... on the 20' rod, I have them cut it at 12' so I can easily get it in the truck.
(that length will make 3 four foot range rods)

Here is a lousy photo of some of them. Brass one is identical to one I saw at Log Cabin years ago.

The horn handles are curved for a reason, it doesn't hurt your hand when you push on it, and
also it gives you a better grip pulling the rod out.

The first one I ever made I used a brown door knob handle like your white one. A guy bumped it
at the range & when it hit the concrete it broke off half the glass knob. So I put a horn one
on it & they are extremely durable.

Keith Lisle

:rotf: Neither did I til the guy knocked it over & the knob split ! :doh: :haha:
First thought of epoxy it back on, then thought, well...... probably get knocked
over again.
Also the horn handle lays much flatter when ya load all your stuff in the back
seat of the car or truck. Sometimes if I am taking one rifle, I can lay the rod in
the case with the rifle. Not possible with the door knob.

Yours will work Fine.... :idunno: just a tad fragile on concrete, should your range
be covered & a concrete floor.

Keith Lisle

Well done. I always admire when someone does for himself instead of just going online and making a purchase. :bow:
I will disagree with one point. A plain steel rod can and will rust. The very first rod I ever made was/is steel. It rusted almost immediately. Originally, it had a hunk of hammer handle pinned on but now has Delrin. I believe a rod guide is essential for bore protection.
As for another comment about not having tools. I now have, and use, a nice lathe. But my 'shop' was a spot no more than 3'X3' in the garage. I used a corded drill and an antique hand crank drill press plus a few hand tools. The corded drill was my 'lathe'. Clumsy but I made do.
steel%20rod.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I used a drill for turning many things for YEARS. Clamped it in a vice & made a stationary end for the other support & filed & cut many things on a
"rigged" lathe. Turned many a ramrod down with one. :wink:

Keith Lisle

Birddog6 - sorry your handle got broken ... bummer

been meaning to do a range rod and short starter ... Dutch Schoultz has a description in his method which sounds as though it would look pretty spiffy - and you can get an antique pair of door handles so they would match ...

but the confluence of motivation, spare time, available cash and an opening in the 'honey do' punch list has yet to come into alignment ... hadn't considered the fragility of the handle...

:hmm:

Hey Rifleman1776,

The key on the steel is that he made it out of stainless 303 steel, not normal carbon steel. Huge difference in the two. Like comparing a carbon steel knife to a stainless knife. Carbon steel has to be kept clean and oiled to keep it from rusting and stainless doesn't (OK, almost doesn't). I bought a range rod made out of the stainless stuff from a member of our longrifle club back in 2005 and it's as shiny and new looking now as it was 10 years ago. Can't say the same for the brass attachments of course. About the only thing I've ever done is wipe it off after cleaning my rifle.

Mine is also tapped into the stainless steel rod, but since I'm shooting .50 cal, diameter is not a big concern. I may have to change the handle though. Mine is a black round ball like an old shift knob and it does roll around a bit. :grin:

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

A guy I shot with at my club some years back had two beautys. One was a brass door knob and the other was crystal. Have not seen him in a long time. Wonder if that crystal handle is still in one piece? :haha:

Back