• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckskin roundball bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agill

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Made a ball bag today for my York. I used buckskin that I tanned myself. I sewed it together with hemp twine. I used Walmart leather strapping for the pullstring.

P1010002-4.jpg

I'd like to see some more pics!

Here is a ball bag I made. I have no idea if it is period correct, I stole the design from a Finnish knife maker who I bought a flint and steel set from, except he used reindeer. The pattern is a coke can, made with braintan I bought. For some reason its the most fun I've had with leather. And since I don't have a ML yet, its holding steel balls for my slingshot.
IMG_1647570.jpg

Would it be PC to make a ball bag out of a buffalo scrotum? The jokes would be endless with that one!

Nice ball bag DarbyFett. :thumbsup: Looks like you spent more time than I did making one. I just cut out a piece of buckskin in a rectangle and folded it and sewed the sides. Probably took 10 minutes or less to cobble mine together. I like your craftsmanship better!

All told maybe about 2 hours. I am still new to this leather thing and had a hard time with the pattern.I learned a lot about sewing braintan with this bag, everything else I made was pretty simple. The welts were really the hardest part. But I had a lot of fun with it and if you still have some spare hide, make yourself a pattern out of a coke can and go to town.

Latest posts

Back