• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck and Hounds Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick: I have two of your flat horns. They are v/nice but no where near as good as this. Your work is outstanding. Ron
:thumbsup:

What's not to like about this horn -- VERY NICE :wink: . Pleasing to the eye and well balanced design thanks for sharing :) .

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Great workmanship. I can't say much other than keep posting 'em!!!

Awesome!

Rick I know that it is how it was done "back in the day" But dose it strike you as odd that they seem to stylize people and animals, yet the oak leafs & acorns are vary true to life.
Have seen this in engraved platters & such where the horses & hounds have the over arched backs & necks yet the flora & fauna are vary true to life.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Antoine_de_Beauterne.jpg

Please understand I am in no way knocking your work or theirs. I'm only saying that it almost seems like two schools of art. One makes the border plants look as life like as can be. The other while using equal skill makes the deer & dog more art & less nature. :hmm:

I actually like it vary much, I just wonder the why of it. Maybe just the taste in art of the day :idunno:

Sorry hope that is not taking this off track, just thought you might know the why of it, since you have the how of it down to such a wonderful degree :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Maybe just the taste in art of the day"

Sean, Thank you.....I think your statement above pretty much says it all for the period. I have often wondered the same thing. It seemed that in Europe a trend in engraving for realistic details was far more popular, but there are some really fine "life like" engraved horns here also. Private collections and Museums have most of them, as I'm sure you know.

Back