• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brewing Vinegar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the 2 hour thing that is rattling around in my brain......

Not sure but it might simply be that she was letting the milk come to room temp and had a yeast sponge? They don't always form sourdough, I had one that did once, and it went very well until I lost it, and the second time I tried it never soured.

LD

Not sure that would give the same results....If soured naturally, the lactobacillus would probably out compete any air born yeast. All you would be doing by adding sugar is increasing the bacteria population. It would make sourdough though.... :idunno:

That is because I got it. I bought some a few days ago and dumped most of it into the fruit wine to see what happens in a few weeks. A teaspoon or two in the morning is a nice eye opener. It seems to have settled the upset stomach I've had for the last week too, although that may have just run it's course. BTW, I got mine at a local "Dillons" store. They are part of the Kroger family of grocery stores. :grin:

Oh thanks buddy!.... :haha: Now I have to drive another 50 miles. :wink: I was thinking about using bottled wine to make vinegar, but then I realized it is probably contains sulfites. Don't know if I can let it evaporate... :idunno: should make a nice experiment.

I don't have great hope as this wine may contain sulfates too as it was from a vintner who went out of business. I only have part of the cost of the Braggs in the experiment, so it will be less than a $6 loss. BTW, Braggs here is $5.99 for 32 ounces.

Clyde, good luck finding the Braggs.

Costco has a natural ACV, 2L for about $11 cdn "Mother Earth Vinegar", cheaper then braggs.
People do use bought wine for making Vinegar, whites normally have more sulfer then the reds, maybe check with manufacturers website.

Update.

DY7bV5a.jpg

More body plus I used double the amount with no extra sugar (probably a blessing in disguise overshooting the sugar content, less likely to go bad). Once the bubbles gone then I will transfer to secondary. It does have a hop taste so will be interesting to see the final result :)

Colorado Clyde said:
Gee, How much did you buy?....I had to try 3 stores before I found any Braggs....I settled for Hienz. :shocked2:

I just bought 1 bottle. My wife said she had seen it in the store and I didn't check with other grocery stores in the area. We also have a cooperative health food store here, but I didn't check there.

A "cooperative health food" /organic store is where I finally found it....

I started some vinegar tonight...From some dandelion ginger wine .....Wish me luck.

The wife bought a pineapple...Guess what I'm thinking... :grin: .

I had the Hienz organic vinegar with the mother for lunch on a salad....it was very good.

Let the journey begin....

I've been stirring my wine/vinegar experiment now for a little over a week. It is developing a vinegar smell and starting to have the vinegar taste. At what point is it done?

There is no mother mass forming at this point, but the solution is cloudy.

Do I need to find some litmus paper to test acidity or just wing it?

Latest posts

Back