• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech plug alloy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to guess it would be something like ASTM A27-81 Grade 60-30, a low carbon, carbon steel with a Tensile strength of around 63 KSI, Yield strength of 35KSI and Elongation of 30%.

Breech plugs don't have to be stronger than the material barrels are usually made from and this material matches up pretty good.

I don't know about commerical ones but I make mine out of 8620, or 12L14. Simply because I had access to a lot of bar ends at 8 cents a lb.

Now that I pull my head out and re-read the original post I will have to add 12L14, 1018 or 1020.

For some reason I was thinking about castings when I made my first response so I mentioned a cast material.

I imagine that they just make them from 12L14, just like the barrels, but they could be plain mild steel too.

thanks guys,
i was hoping/thinking they were probably something like 1018. i have a peice of that.

Latest posts

Back