• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass range rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dledinger said:
I use these for bore guides on my home made rods:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkB...-Adapter-10-Pack-UC600LFA10/206133189[/quote]

That is clever but very expensive. :shocked2:
I have made some of my own from wood.
woodmuzzleguard.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
I use brass flare nuts made to use with 3/8" OD tubing. A 3/8" brass or steel (& I guess even wood) rod slips right thru. The local plumbing supply sells them for less than $2 ea (long brass flare nut 3/8" OD). You can get these nuts in other sizes as well.

Steel is stronger than brass and will not bend quite so easy but with which ever material you choose make sure to include a muzzle protector as either material will peen the end of the rifling in the crown if making regular contact.

The two steel rods I use are, I believe, 1/4". On them are soft plastic bore protectors. I have other rods that DO use brass protectors but those rods only get used occasionally.

"October Country" custom cut to your length.
tapped 10-32 both ends... one end tapered.
Great Rod! Short turn around on order.
all my hunting rifles carry one.

lonewolf465 said:
Valkyrie said:
I made mine. I bought 48” 3/8” cold rolled steel rod from Lowe’s. Drilled and tapped it to 10-32 and cut to 42” and added a wooden handle and a muzzle guard. Works perfect and cost about $20.
How do I keep the steel from rusting?? Anything besides oiling it??

I just keep it wiped down with a gun rag.

I did the same thing with 5/16s steel rod but for a handle I bought a 1.5 inch threaded pollycarbonate ball from True Value Hardware.
Mine never rust either probably because of the bore protect-ant (Gunzilla)I use to clean with after the water treatment.
I made down the bore muzzle protectors of soft brass and delrin for all cleaning rods. No chance of rod and bore contact with this style of muzzle protector.

Check out the TRESO GI rods from Just what the doctor ordered :thumbsup:

Rice barrels also makes nice range rods of stainless, I believe they will make custom lengths

I LOVE my October Country SOLID BRASS range rod!

There horns are also tops, too. Not to mention there hickory ramrods that are truly straight-grained.

They make a ton of niche and unique items for the muzzleloading rifle. Superb outfit!

I have quite a collection of brass range rods, one for each caliber of rifle that I own, or ever did own. I bought mine at a place in Pasadena, Texas called Rebel Arms. It is no longer there. He kept a good supply of different sizes of brass rod blanks that he told me that he got from a place that supplies metal to machine shops. If he ever told me the name of the place I have forgotten it. He would cut it to length, drill and tap the end and put a handle on it. I bought several many years ago and have all of them today. I removed the original handles from several of them and replaced them with antique brass door knobs. Some folks prefer steel for a range rod but my preference is brass.

He kept a good supply of different sizes of brass rod blanks that he told me that he got from a place that supplies metal to machine shops.

Those suppliers can be found readily with an internet search. Most larger cities have distributors like that. Many have requirements for minimum orders, some don't. Sadly, the prices for brass rod these days is heart stopping.

SgtMaj said:
I bought a 31-inch CVA lifetime brass range rod with an aluminum handle from Midway USA that breaks down into 3 pieces, which is much easier to haul to the range. I use is for my .50-cal. T/C Renegade. I have a 45-inch steel range rod with a wood handle that I keep on my work bench from Track of the Wolf. I use it mainly on my 1853 Pattern 3-band .58-cal. British Enfield. Both are excellent. I use the brass one the most, since I can carry it around with me anywhere, and it is just really solid. Both are 10-32 threaded for jags, ball pullers, etc., but I think you can get 8-32 as well.
I like my three piece brass rod also for the reasons you state. I can also use one piece of it for a range rod for my pistol. Just have to check it now and then during a shooting session to make sure it's not getting unscrewed.

If I had a dollar for every 3 piece rod I ever broke, I could buy a really nice solid one piece rod.... :haha:
Brass and aluminum threads aren't strong enough to hold up to my demands....

I buy a steel rod and thread one end to accept a ball or piece of Aluminum handle, then drill and tap the other end, to accept jags. I use a brass muzzle guide to protect the muzzle.

I have one aluminum rod, made from old shotgun cleaning rod, that I cut off and drilled and tapped. It also has a brass muzzle guide.

On small caliber guns, I use regular cleaning rods, with plastic or brass muzzle guide.

Back