• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'Bout done with cherry Tennessee - pics.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! That is a nice looker :thumbsup: I know what you mean by learning by mistakes, I just finished number 4 and it's not perfect. Keep up the good work!!!

She turned out great to me. I'm a maple and walnut fan but I have to say the Cherry looks good. Nice job!
Ken

Congratulations on a well-built rifle, Meteor Man! What kind of wood finish did you use? Just curious.

Permalyn sealer followed by Jim Chambers' oil finish. Good stuff.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
This past week was bit bumpy.
Snapped the breech tang on my new build :shake: I know how NOT to bend them now,
then the frizzen spring on the Late Ketland (on this gun) broke. All is being fixed though.

LOTS of stress on that Ketland mainspring. If you don't have a mainspring vice, Get One. Keep the end of the vice up close to the toe of the spring as you can so it lifts at the toe on one side. Less chance of breaking the spring this way. Put the lock on half-cock, put the mainspring vice on & just snug it up, now pull back slightly on hammer & depress sear arm & then let the hammer all the way down. Now wiggle the vice & the mainspring should come out. If the mainspring is still caught under the bolster, go back to halfcock & take 1/4 turn on mainspring vice & try it again.

:thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

10-4 Keith.
I do have a mainspring vise.
It was the frizzen spring that broke - that little anchor pin in the lockplate sheared off clean.
The nice lady at Jim Chambers said "no problem, send it back and another one will be on the way".

Speaking of mainsprings tho, I do have a question about best position for long term storage (other than out of the lock).
I assume the best position is when the hammer is in the "fired" position - least stress on spring ? - or doesn't it really matter if it's in half-cock position, assuming it's a healthy mainspring ?

Yes... best position for long storage of the lock is in the fired position.

Keith Lisle

Very nicely done and I would rather have a wrist a hair too thick than too thin. The large amount of drop in these stocks magnifies torque on the wrist when ramming the ball.

Back