• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a Walker Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is mentioned about putting the Dragoon latch on the Walker. In the Civilian series, serial #201 of the Civilian Walkers was made with that latch. Now technically, the Dragoons hadn't been released yet, so how could it be called a Dragoon catch when really the Dragoon came out with the Walker latch, right?

Anyway, I had this picture since 2014 when it was up for auction. It is known for being the best preserved example of the Walker found and is called the "Thumbprint Walker" because a worker had left his thumbprint on the left side of the frame before it was case hardened. (And just look at that beautiful original holster!) Why is it that such a simple thing to copy from the Walkers that should be built into the replicas, is the toe of the grip, is supposed to be higher than the heel?
View attachment 256777
Is there period documentation to show that it came that way?

Everything I've read about Walkers with a 'latched loading lever' is that they were altered either by the factory being sent back by owners or by 'frontier gunsmiths' that did so after the latched loading levers came out starting with the WhitneyVille or sometimes called the Transition Dragoon. Believer there is a Walker in a museum down in Texas with a latched lever, have seen pictures of it. Read somewhere once upon a time that Colt never released any Walkers 'new' with latched loading levers. This is opposite what the RIA's description of the latched Walker says, but the 'he says she says' problem about Colt firearms since their first Paterson came off of the line is ripe with disagreement over the years. With Colts fire back in what 1862 when so many records and info was destroyed leads to alot of this. Look at the disagreement with Colts 2nd and especially the 3rd generation (Signature) percussion revolvers since they came out not that long ago. Where they were made, did Colt completely authorize, will they letter or not, are they true Colts on and on. Just sayin!

The Auction site said the Colt was authenticated with a letter by Herb Glass, Jr. of Bullville NY, Firearms Consultant and Honorary Curator of the West Point Museum. Herb is known throughout the world for his knowledge of Colt Walkers: " Additionally this gun is of interest because it is certainly one of the first, if not the first to have the improved lever latch factory installed." That looks like it is unaltered.

The Auction site said the Colt was authenticated with a letter by Herb Glass, Jr. of Bullville NY, Firearms Consultant and Honorary Curator of the West Point Museum. Herb is known throughout the world for his knowledge of Colt Walkers: " Additionally this gun is of interest because it is certainly one of the first, if not the first to have the improved lever latch factory installed." That looks like it is unaltered.

That could very well be, not saying not true, but alot has been written about the history of Colt revolvers, including the Walker by noted historians and authors that say different. Seems like alot of history is written and alot is disputed by whatever path a reader and interested person wants to believe and follow. Regardless, the RIA article is interesting, but I will say auction sites and any seller will sometimes say what they want people to believe, not saying they are stretching the truth, but ya gotta take everything into account and if a person is a buyer, investigate things to the fullest extent.

When I first shot my Walker I quickly came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to put up with the dropping lever issue. "I won't tolerate rudeness in a gun."
I looked around at other's solutions, wangs, rubber bands, etc. The "bondage" look just didn't appeal to me, so I solved the problem in the same manner Mr. Colt eventually solved it. I installed a latch at the end of the lever. Now the level only ever comes down when I want it to.
Walkers may not be the most practical sidearm but they sure are one of the most fun to shoot. As much fun as a box full of puppies, and hands down the best choice for pistol-whipping a surly bartender.
IMG_1022.jpg

Last edited:
Good fix Tacitus!!!! Have thought several times that would be the way to go with the Walker lever drop problem. Did you mill out the original Walker lever or use a Dragoon lever? Thinking about it a Dragoon lever may not be long enough to seat bullets. I see you used the later latch as found on 1851/1860 Colts and others and not the lever type found on Dragoons. Suppose to be a better hook up system although I've never had problems with it other than needing to deepen the latch stud some. Have yet to install a different spring in any of my Dragoons.

Good fix Tacitus!!!! Have thought several times that would be the way to go with the Walker lever drop problem. Did you mill out the original Walker lever or use a Dragoon lever? Thinking about it a Dragoon lever may not be long enough to seat bullets. I see you used the later latch as found on 1851/1860 Colts and others and not the lever type found on Dragoons. Suppose to be a better hook up system although I've never had problems with it other than needing to deepen the latch stud some. Have yet to install a different spring in any of my Dragoons.
Crow Chocker, I used the original lever that came installed on the Uberti Walker.

M. De Land, I also retained the original latch spring.
Neat job, I may copy it if my spring latch fails which I expect over time and use. Next thing I plan on when I get some of these other projects out of my hair is a new front sight in a dovetail on the Walker.

When I first shot my Walker I quickly came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to put up with the dropping lever issue. "I won't tolerate rudeness in a gun."
I looked around at other's solutions, wangs, rubber bands, etc. The "bondage" look just didn't appeal to me, so I solved the problem in the same manner Mr. Colt eventually solved it. I installed a latch at the end of the lever. Now the level only ever comes down when I want it to.
Walkers may not be the most practical sidearm but they sure are one of the most fun to shoot. As much fun as a box full of puppies, and hands down the best choice for pistol-whipping a surly bartender.
View attachment 257383
NICE FIND! And the finish looks really good! I've never fired a "cap-n- ball" revolver but I think I'd enjoy it! Are the Walker revolvers .44cal or what and how many shots are they???

Awesome firepower back in those days....I'd say!

"The Colt Walker holds a powder charge of 60 grains (3.9 g) in each chamber, more than twice what a typical black powder revolver holds. It weighs 4+1⁄2 pounds (2 kg) unloaded, has a 9-inch (230 mm) barrel, and fires a .44 caliber (0.454 in (11.5 mm) diameter) conical and round ball."
The Walker was the most powerful revolver for more than 80 years. From the time it was introduced in 1847 until the .357 Magnum hit the market in the 1930s Colt's .44-caliber Walker was the most powerful revolver in the world.

It is a beast and much fun to shoot.

"The Colt Walker holds a powder charge of 60 grains (3.9 g) in each chamber, more than twice what a typical black powder revolver holds. It weighs 4+1⁄2 pounds (2 kg) unloaded, has a 9-inch (230 mm) barrel, and fires a .44 caliber (0.454 in (11.5 mm) diameter) conical and round ball."
The Walker was the most powerful revolver for more than 80 years. From the time it was introduced in 1847 until the .357 Magnum hit the market in the 1930s Colt's .44-caliber Walker was the most powerful revolver in the world.

It is a beast and much fun to shoot.
WOW....kinda like the role Clint Eastwood played in the "Dirty Harry" sequels! The "Walker 44cal Revolvers" spoke for themselves if you carried 'em!!!

Back