• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a Walker Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing find! is there an easy fix ton that loading lever falling down with every shot? seems like every video I see of a walker features the single shot, free up the cylinder by re setting the loading lever, repeat method of fireing. .

Amazing find! is there an easy fix ton that loading lever falling down with every shot? seems like every video I see of a walker features the single shot, free up the cylinder by re setting the loading lever, repeat method of fireing. .
Indeed there is. A little offset on the catch surfaces and voila! @45D fixed mine right up!

leather thong is the HC answer. All I can find is leather too thick so it blocks the sight.

leather thong is the HC answer. All I can find is leather too thick so it blocks the sight.
Yeah, I was having a hard time finding leather thin enough not to block the front sight but as I'm going to replace the sight with a taller one and my loading lever seems to stay up the leather thong should not be needed.!
Besides that leather wears off bluing in short order .

Yeah, I was having a hard time finding leather thin enough not to block the front sight but as I'm going to replace the sight with a taller one and my loading lever seems to stay up the leather thong should not be needed.!
Besides that leather wears off bluing in short order .

Try a 7/8"x3/4"x1/16" black O-ring M. DL. They work very well in keeping the lever up, don't hide the front sight, are cheap (available at hardware/farm stores). If ya go up in diameter it will hide the front sight. When loading, just slide the O-ring up towards the front (it will stay on the barrel), then reslide over the lever. I've been using one for a long time, keep a few handy in case another is needed but rarely replace. Looks better than a leather thong in that it blends with the gun blue, better than a strip of cloth, and ya don't have to tie, untie, tie, untie......They may not be what 'they' used in the old days but neither are 'alot' of what modern day cap and ball shooters use or how they modify their revolvers.

Try a 7/8"x3/4"x1/16" black O-ring M. DL. They work very well in keeping the lever up, don't hide the front sight, are cheap (available at hardware/farm stores). If ya go up in diameter it will hide the front sight. When loading, just slide the O-ring up towards the front (it will stay on the barrel), then reslide over the lever. I've been using one for a long time, keep a few handy in case another is needed but rarely replace. Looks better than a leather thong in that it blends with the gun blue, better than a strip of cloth, and ya don't have to tie, untie, tie, untie......They may not be what 'they' used in the old days but neither are 'alot' of what modern day cap and ball shooters use or how they modify their revolvers.
Good idea, thanks for the tip! I may not need one as the spring Uberti put on this new gun could double for truck over load leaf! I have to wedge my thumb and pointer finger between the barrel and tapered end of the loading rod to get enough space to get a grip on it to over come the spring so I can lower it and that with grease on the cam latch ! It didn't drop even one time during Saturdays shooting session.

Last edited:
Think the last ones I bought came in a two pack for like $1(+-). If ya go up to the next diameter a 3/32" they will hide the front sight. Yer Walker is one of the first I've heard of that doesn't drop the lever alot when firing. Tis a good deal.

Attachments

• IMG_8071 (1).JPG
    IMG_8071 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here's a pic of the modification you can do to the 'Walker lever spring'. Filing off of the top of the half moon tip of the 'spring'. I haven't done it yet, but several on the CAS forum that have advise to take it slow, but it works very well. They advise if you take too much off the lever becomes hard to pull down. If tried, go slow, filing, shooting a few rounds until it stays up when firing. Think it may be a winter project this coming winter wonderland.

Attachments

• 234309-8538a7b5d831aad33717fe25165c41a1Walker spring.jpg
    234309-8538a7b5d831aad33717fe25165c41a1Walker spring.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
I saw that mod several times but each of the guns that had it still dropped the lever at ignition part of time but less than before the mod.
Actually saw one that was dropping the lever with the Dragoon latch.

Can only report of the success stories I've read. Perhaps the ones you saw or read about the owners didn't file enough of the material off and need to take a bit more off to make the lever stay. As one of the reports I read the writer advised if to much is taken off you basically need a gorilla to move the lever. Fine line. Adjusting the Walker spring/lever is like adjusting the heavy recoil Colts with the spring latch. I by trial and error on my WhittneyVille and 2nd Model Dragoon filed the slot in the barrel stud where the latch catches before they would stay locked 100% of the time when firing. Dressed the latch some also. Putting a stiffer spring in the latch hole works also, doing both should 'really' keep the latch home. I never drop the loading lever on the Dragoons anymore. Have never had a problem with my 51 Navy models nor 60 Army, although I stoned the slot and lever latch angles gently.

Can only report of the success stories I've read. Perhaps the ones you saw or read about the owners didn't file enough of the material off and need to take a bit more off to make the lever stay. As one of the reports I read the writer advised if to much is taken off you basically need a gorilla to move the lever. Fine line. Adjusting the Walker spring/lever is like adjusting the heavy recoil Colts with the spring latch. I by trial and error on my WhittneyVille and 2nd Model Dragoon filed the slot in the barrel stud where the latch catches before they would stay locked 100% of the time when firing. Dressed the latch some also. Putting a stiffer spring in the latch hole works also, doing both should 'really' keep the latch home. I never drop the loading lever on the Dragoons anymore. Have never had a problem with my 51 Navy models nor 60 Army, although I stoned the slot and lever latch angles gently.
Makes me wonder how long mine will stay up as it wears from use. It was a persistent problem with the originals as well so it won't surprise me if I have to cut a dovetail and put a latch at the end in the future. I enjoy the machine work so it won't be a big deal for me if it ever happens.
I bet a loading rod made of Titanium would be light enough to stay up against the recoil inertia from muzzle rise with that spring latch arrangement !

Last edited:

I welded two brass tubes together and fixed the loading lever this way

20230824_171552.jpg

20230825_083341.jpg

It is mentioned about putting the Dragoon latch on the Walker. In the Civilian series, serial #201 of the Civilian Walkers was made with that latch. Now technically, the Dragoons hadn't been released yet, so how could it be called a Dragoon catch when really the Dragoon came out with the Walker latch, right?

Anyway, I had this picture since 2014 when it was up for auction. It is known for being the best preserved example of the Walker found and is called the "Thumbprint Walker" because a worker had left his thumbprint on the left side of the frame before it was case hardened. (And just look at that beautiful original holster!) Why is it that such a simple thing to copy from the Walkers that should be built into the replicas, is the toe of the grip, is supposed to be higher than the heel?
1696107292376.png

Last edited:
Back