• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore light

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The batteries are in right and everything is clean. When I turn it on I have to push down on the bulb for it to light. Something isn't quite right.
I am going to order the arrow nocks, are they bright enough ?
Missing a tiny spring?

There's a big price range in those digital borescopes: from about $12 to the-sky's-the-limit. I've had a couple of the cheaper ones and they're usually okay for what I use them for. But the images on them aren't great except maybe at one focal length. And while they may work pretty well for something like a .50 cal, they may not work so great in a .32 cal. Part of that has to do with the size of terminal lens (5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm ...) and resulting quality of the image. This is one case where pretty much you do get what you pay for, and expectations should be adjusted accordingly. I think that in some circumstances, some kind of simple bore light (like a fishing bobber thingy or arrow nock) may be better unless you're willing to shell out significantly more bucks.

Didn't read entire thread so if mentioned before proves I had a good idea. A member here posted about getting a pack of BOBBER light sticks from Wal-Y-World sports dept. for about $4.00. They work great and last a few days once activated. Look at my postings of Tennessee rifle in classifieds to see results. Good luck!

There's a big price range in those digital borescopes: from about $12 to the-sky's-the-limit. I've had a couple of the cheaper ones and they're usually okay for what I use them for. But the images on them aren't great except maybe at one focal length. And while they may work pretty well for something like a .50 cal, they may not work so great in a .32 cal. Part of that has to do with the size of terminal lens (5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm ...) and resulting quality of the image. This is one case where pretty much you do get what you pay for, and expectations should be adjusted accordingly. I think that in some circumstances, some kind of simple bore light (like a fishing bobber thingy or arrow nock) may be better unless you're willing to shell out significantly more bucks.

You are correct, the mirror has to be focused to get good images. I have no issues with the images mine takes, very clear in .22-.264” bores. For my .50 it needs a larger diameter mirror. Well pleased for $65.

I have a brass bore light that goes in the barrel of my muzzle loader and the battery died. I cannot figure out how to replace the battery and get the light to work.
I put the new battery in but the light won't come on. Is there a trick to doing it ? Does anyone have a diagram showing how it goes together ?
I just got a bore light off of ebay. works great

My Ebay endoscope cost $12. I would expect the $65 one might work better. 😂 I would up my game, but I have almost no genuine use for a better one. I did use it, however, to shorten the "cleanout screw" in my Crockett rifle so it no longer protrudes into the patent breech (and then Loctited (excuse the verb form) that screw in). I just ordered some little battery bobber lights from Amazon to see what they'll provide -- mostly out of curiosity. :rolleyes:

On Ebay you can get a bore scope that you plug into your phone, for around $12. Works much better than the lights.
I got one of those and found the plugs on Samsung phones come in different sizes , and while adaptors are available they don't seem to work , if you don't know what size plug your phone takes , ask a 10 year old .
My brass bore light works to very close tolerances . if it is not screwed up really tight it wont work .

Last edited:
I use a nickel plated 9mm, 38, or a 45. slid down the bore open end down and put a light down the barrel, works for me. I carry them in my shooting box.

I got one of those and found the plugs on Samsung phones come in different sizes , and while adaptors are available they don't seem to work , if you don't know what size plug your phone takes , ask a 10 year old .
My brass bore light works to very close tolerances . if it is not screwed up really tight it wont work .
I recently got one for my son. My original one didn't have adapters, but his came with adapters. There are only about 12,000 of these on Ebay for about $12, and they're not all identical in terms of features (adapters, size of camera, etc.). :rolleyes: This provides hours of entertainment in comparing the offerings.

A cheap fix for the brass bore light batteries. I found that the batteries from the laser pointer you can get from the dollar tree for about 1.35 work fine. There are 3 batteries in one of those but I only need 2 for my bore light. Not like Duracell but for a dollar something every now and then its great

I have a CVA brass bore light that works great for 45 cal and up. But, I bought one of the cheap bore scopes on Amazon because I wanted to be able to examine the condition of the breech area on my guns and used guns I might buy. The drop in bore lights don't allow you to do that.

Back