• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bore butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bow: Great post! :bow:

I found it very interesting and will have a new appreciation of Chap Stick. :hatsoff:

That was a great read AND entertaining. I had a little dance with the yellow and green bore butter stuff - gifted to me - and found them to be not really quite as "good" as Crisco; both are awful. With any of these two shots was about the most I could get seated using these lubes. I've also once found rust in a bore coated with Bore Butter.

TOW mink oil, on the other hand, allows me to load easily and shoot without wiping for the duration. The waxy stuff and Crisco both made a real mess in every rifle I tried them in. Hoppes is even better but it does contain a bit of water and can't be left in the bore for a long time; plus it does dry out quite a bit. For rust protection in the bore it's very difficult to beat Barricade; I found Break Free CLP to be excellent as well.

All wrong... (jk of course) Ask my father and he'll tell you Bore Butter is made from a combination of equal parts angel dust, dragon heart strings, and a feather from a Phoenix. :rotf: :youcrazy:

I haven't used Bore Butter for years because, obviously, there are much better choices available, both commercial and homemade. But my father thinks the stuff is magical and puts it on everything. Has for as long as I can remember.

Edit: Great story by the way!!

Yep... Not a complaint in the 20ish years that I can remember.
My old man is an interesting fella when it comes to hunting and shooting. I bet his muzzleloader (Cabela's, percussion, 54cal) doesn't move from January to November. Come December (muzzleloader season in Nebraska), he cleans her up, pops a cap, takes a fouling shot, takes a "real" shot at whatever object he sees nearby, then loads up for the hunt. Then proceeds to kill the first unlucky deer that comes within a 100. I don't recall the last time I saw him miss with that gun. He's doing something right I guess... :idunno: Just not the way I do it or recommend others to do.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think that most lubes will work for their intended purpose. I also think that BELIEVING in your lube makes it work better! :shocked2:

dsayer said:
My old man is an interesting fella when it comes to hunting and shooting. I bet his muzzleloader (Cabela's, percussion, 54cal) doesn't move from January to November. Come December (muzzleloader season in Nebraska), he cleans her up, pops a cap, takes a fouling shot, takes a "real" shot at whatever object he sees nearby, then loads up for the hunt. Then proceeds to kill the first unlucky deer that comes within a 100. I don't recall the last time I saw him miss with that gun. He's doing something right I guess... :idunno: Just not the way I do it or recommend others to do.

My Son!!!.....Didn't realize you were on the forum!

Just kidding, but the description, even my old Cabelas .54 fits me to a T.
I used the Bore Butter for years with no problems, but just recently saw the light.

Cant you have a accidental fire from hot embers if you pour powder down without swabing?

YES, been there and seen it and done it....

BUT you're not speed loading a musket for a volley fire competition, so I highly doubt that if you're not firing 10 volleys plus, w/o swabbing that you are going to "cook off" a charge. :wink:

LD

stubshaft said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think that most lubes will work for their intended purpose. I also think that BELIEVING in your lube makes it work better! :shocked2:
For sure. I'm not telling my old man (apparently Jimbo47 :rotf: ) to change his ways.
If believing in your lube makes it work better, then he'll continue to use it with exceedingly good results.

Jimbo47 said:
dsayer said:

I used the Bore Butter for years with no problems, but just recently saw the light.
Hahaha!!! :rotf:
When did you get a computer or the internet, Dad?

dsayer said:
Jimbo47 said:
dsayer said:

Hahaha!!! :rotf:
When did you get a computer or the internet, Dad?

I kept it a secret from everyone since around the mid nineties, but I guess now the cat is out of the bag! :rotf:

After a good cleaning with hot soapy water and a good drying with swabs and compressed air, I run a patch with Break Free CLP thru the barrel and wipe the nipple area good also, no real need for anything else.

Cotcrab:
Try spitting on your patches(liberally. Every time you clean, you drive fowling to the breech. I don't use bore butter anymore, I never had so much rust as I did with that product.Seasons your bore. :bull: :bull:
Nit Wit)

I make my own "Bore Butter"....Beeswax and olive oil.

I call it Better Butter, or Bees Butter, or Best Butter, or Bertolli Butter, or Bullet Butter.... :grin:

Latest posts

Back