• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bookie's Wheellock Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a photo of my custom trigger plate. It bolsters the grip rail/trigger bow and prevents it from flexing while being grasped by the hand. Could this perhaps be one step as to how the later Kentucky rifle trigger guard evolved? The chain link that attached to the tumbler snapped into two pieces this morning. Had to construct one from mild steel and pin both ends, but we're now back up and running. Turned the lock nail estuchions a while ago and will inlet them later this evening. Need to add a front sight and the metal work (other than polishing) will be complete. All shaping lines are drawn onto the stock so I can let my trained beaver loose on it in the morning. Maybe....oiling by Saturday morning?? :hmm: Cheers, Bookie
98TPlateMounted.jpg

Gentlemen, Not a great photo, but here is the stock with it's first coat of oil. It's engraving and metal polishing time now. Anyone want to lend a hand? :haha: Cheers, Bookie
101stOil.jpg

You have great talent there sir looks mighty fine to me cant wait to see some more of her ! :bow:

So far the wheelie is looking great :thumbsup: !Are you trying to replicate from a period piece-nationality,time period,ect?

Gentlemen, Thank you for your nice comments. :bow: I've used two original Dutch cavalry carbines for the basis of this piece and I have remained pretty much true to them. The wrist and forearm were lengthened to make it short rifle size. I'd post a photo of it, but I don't wish to get in trouble for using something in a book that I didn't write. The blown up photos reveal many details that really suprized me and I have incorporated them into the gun. Enlarged the photos of the paddlebutt, belly, and forearm to get exact shape by using them as a traceable pattern. One thing not being installed is a rear sight and nose cap like what is on the original. Bookie

Bookie!
What did you use to get the pleasing brown color on that white stock. It looks good. :bow: I am green with envy. :shocked2: I did not get anything done on my lock since tuesday. :( Anxious to get it finished.
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

Thanks, Leon. The stain is Dixie Gun Works's house brand, a.k.a. Fleibing's Leather Dye. It is very forgiving. This stain was the closest to the reddish tint I wanted for the figured walnut. Hope you get to work on your lock again soon. Bookomundo

Finished my lock today. I've put my customary brass tail on it and added my cartouche. Even though it needs a bit more polish, this is what it looks like. The oiled stock is taking it's own sweet time to dry. Bookie
112FinisheLock.jpg

Bookie,
I like the dog design. :bow: That might be easier to build by hand than one with the moveable jaw on the top. I will have to look into it for any future locks. Actually, if my new lock works, I will then make new parts for it and restore the ones I am borrowing from the TRS back on the TRS. I hope that last sentence makes sense.
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

Hi Leon! Yep. I understood what you are saying. Do hope that you get that wheelie up and running soon. I believe I shall forge a better main spring that the cast TRS job. I've noticed that they didn't do a good job of heat treating the one they supplied with their kit as it's pretty mushy. My long distance apprentice (soon to be Journeyman) in Denmark is looking at building a wheelie pistol. I do like the looks of the one on the TRS website. Maybe I'll have to do that after I finish my wender. Cheers, Bookie

Bookie,
Of course it is okay for you to forge whatever spring you want. However, do consider using the TRS for a while, especially if you want it wound up for hours while you hunt. Mushy may mean it will stand up to being compressed that long. It only needs enough strength to spin the wheel and cam the pan toggle violently enough for the retaining spring to catch it.
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

Hmmmm. Interesting comment, Leon. I'll mull this over a tad, but something tells me you may be correct. :hmm: The stock has 5 coats of oil; and another is due much later this evening. The WX is not cooperating for me.......uh,...."violently" you say!!!? Wow! That sounds like my 1st wife's answer to everything! :rotf: Cheers, Bookie

Well, Leon....the wheelie main spring finally decided it didn't want to work any longer, so I took it on a close up tour of the Yeller Tom Cat Forge this morning. Drew the temper in ignited oil and it turned out beautiful. It even has some "case hardened" type coloring now and it do speak with authority. Glad I didn't pay to have TRS do that 1st job for me! Here's a shot of it going in for the final heat before quenching. Bookie :thumbsup:
10HotSpring.jpg

Bookie,
Great picture! I am glad it works now. I am waiting to hear about the Dutchie going BOOM! :hatsoff:
God bless.
volatpluvia

O.K., Leon. You've named my gun...."Dutchie". :grin: HawkmanDan took some photos this morning of our first time out........
122Proofing.jpg
The barrel is being proofed in the tester. 200 grains of FFG under two patched balls. The recoil moved the tester back 6 ", which is normal for this caliber.
123Ignition.jpg
Look closely. The pan has been ignited. [Tried to get a pic of the main charge going off.] Used the Horst pyrites and they worked great. Vacillated from 50 to 70 grains of double F working up a charge for the round balls. Will do the same once I get some #5 shot.
124Dutchie.jpg
I'd like to introduce you all to "Dutchie". All in all, I feel pretty gratified that the paddle butt eats powder & lead and spits fire after all these months. I be happy. :thumbsup: Hope you've enjoyed these photos and good luck to you on yours, leon! Cheers, Bookie

Bookie, All I can say is OUTSTANDING! Although I think I need a new keyboard from all the drool on mine :rotf: Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Rob

Bookie!
I am ecstatic for you! :bow: :grin: I remember the feeling the first time I lit the redhairedgal. I nearly jumped and shouted, hee hee! Those are truely great pictures. I am honored that you have chosen to use the name. May you have many hours of shooting pleasure with your new passion! :hatsoff:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Back