• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muamero said:
Just got out and shot my Hoyt barrel again yesterday.Its a 54 cal with 1:60 twist. Shooting 70 grains of Goex FFFG, pillow ticking lubed with 7:1 oil ratio cut at the muzzle wiped between shots with 50\50 alcohol and murphy's soap mixture.

I will say the barrel did need a bit of breaking in so you know what to expect before it started grouping like this. I feel the barrel is capable of even tighter groups and I will tweak the load further.

EgKsLdm.jpg

qxs3nFm.jpg
What range? If that were 80-90 yds I would raise the POI and be has happy as a pig in Poop :thumbsup:

Sorry I conviniently left that out. This is at 50 Yards. The gun had less than a 100 rounds through it and I beleive this is not at its full potential

what is is fee to take a tc hawkens 50 cal to 54 cal,the one i have is pitted pretty bad.i want to make this my deer gun

when he does a rebore does he remove the breech plug and re install it with out messing it up to bad?

A friend just posted on the N-SSA forum that he was at Hoyt's 2 days ago and that Bobby had almost no backlog at this time and that's it is best to call in the early morning (717 642-6696).

He's rebored a couple of barrels for me and I couldn't even tell that he removed the breach plug...he's that good. Not a mark.

I too was concerned about him possibly messing up the plug on my gun if it started fighting him upon removal and when I spoke to him about it he told me that he's never met a breach plug he couldn't remove. Again, not 1 mark or scratch. Perfect.

Thats good to know, Do i have to remove the sights and thimbles? sounds like a good deal, What twist rate do you guys like for deer hunting and target shooting?

Bob removes the sights and thimbles. Just ship him the barrel with your instructions note. When I spoke to him he told me that the depth of the threaded thimble & sights holes ultimately dictates how much material he can remove...what is the largest cal he can turn a given barrel into.

As for the recommended twist rate, when I sent Bob my pitted 50 cal PA Hunter to rebore into 54, I merely told him that I planned on using powder charges in the 60-90 gr range and to bore the round bottom rifling at the twist he felt was best. When the barrel was returned with the bill (still can't believe he performs the rebore before getting paid!), he had indicated that he bored a 1-66 twist.

Off a rest, I can hit a pop can at 100 yards 4 outta 5 times. Man this things shoots !! :bow:

He built a complete precussion 54 barrel for me and it took less than 8 weeks. Keep calling till you get an answer!!
I guess I was blessed since he answered my first call on the 3rd ring! (Individual results may vary.) 😆

Back