• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobowonkanobe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been hashed, beaten and glared at a few times, but does anyone know of a good source to find, buy and/or build one?
I've looked into TotW, but all I have found is books on the topic.

The Rifle Shop but you will be an old man before you get it ,the Indian types make some but quality is like a lotto ticket but most find that a smooth bore in all it's types and ignition , and barrel lengths is a far,far better gun to have .

I'm with Phill here. Unless you can find a used gun on one of the auction sites or muzzleloading sites that have a sale/trade section, your only chance are parts through The Rifle Shoppe (real long wait for parts) or one of the Indian made guns being imported by several sources. Have no experience with these guns and reviews are mixed, to say the least! Remember, the blunderbuss was exotic, but still just a sawed-off shotgun and the big honking bell muzzles DID NOT effect the shot spread, etc. If they had a purpose or advantage, it was intimidation and ease of reloading while bouncing around on a coach's seat. You can get the same result with one of Laffin Dog's short barreled N.W. trade guns, cut back Bess carbine, or any large bored smoothbore musket or fowler type of gun. The only advantage, if you want to call it that, the blunderbuss had was a bore from .80 to .95 caliber in some cases. Some brass and steel barreled versions or kits were imported by Navy and Stoeger back in the 70's and 80's but they're really hard to find now.

Ed Rayl will make you a bbl. His work is beyond legendary...1-304-364-8269 one man one bbl. at a time, be prepared to wait--but you get the best. Maybe MLS builders supply. look around...

Was unfamiliar with that one, thanks. Can't get the photos up now, will try again tomorrow. Note that they state up front it's not a beginner's kit and folks need to take note of that.

The 'musketoon' and 'club butt' versions look interesting, for sure. makes me wish I had more talent along those lines.

I bought a flint blunderbuss with a brass barrel and the wrong lock on it.

Second shot I got a left to right crossing clay with a load of #8's. Didn't crack it in 2, smashed it to bits.

Seriously good fun, you have to get one :thumbsup:

blunderbus.jpg

Stonewall Creek Outfitters linked above has the best buss kit out there. I would think Troy probably put the information about it not being a beginner kit due to the fact it is his only component kit and he did not want newbies thinking it would snap together. It's no different than any other component set that we refer to as a "kit" as far as I know.
If one is wanting a nice blunderbuss to be made from KIT form, this is the only option IMO. Mike Lea used to sell a pre-formed stock but I dont think he does anymore.
The SCO buss has a Rayl barrel, Chambers lock and hardware and a Keck precarve stock unless something has changed since the components were planned out initially.

I got a barrel from stonewall creek outfitters about a year ago. Steel, 4 bore, octagon to round, nice flare to the barrel - I am still getting around to building a gun around it, but a great barrel for the money! I highly recommend them.

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/Blunderbusses.SHTML

I have one of these steel barreled Indian made blunderbi which is not much more than an assembled kit even from Middlesex Village. I stripped & oils the stock (which was pretty nice wood under the nasty finish), had the frizzen hardened, attached a saddle ring, polished it, replaced the steel screws with matching brass, etc... It is a fun gun but I wish that I had known about the brass barreled ones before I got it.

Blunderbus3.jpg

The ring is to use with one of these sliding baldrics which makes it much more convenient to carry: http://api.ning.com/files/urG4dS5b...JTMnOKetoMMSCGKYgVG9H1JTUGRcc6WvC/dragoon.jpg

If you want to do more of the work yourself, some one posted nice looking, reasonably priced brass barrels on the FaceBook group "Traditional Black Powder Fanatics!" that might be worth looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found , and have since lost the web site for a maker in Maryland, I think . He has pics of 2 that he makes. I wish I could remember the name. Maybe this will jog someones memory.

not sure if you're wanting to build one or not but Pecatonica long rifle supply has blunderbuss kits. :2

A man by the name of "Sweet William", is now working in an 18th century gunshop in Old Bedford Village, PA. He makes lots of Blunderbusses, either in Steel or Brass Barrel. His phone number is 724-679-0348

You might want to avoid the Rifle Shop.

Called The Rifle Shop 14 months ago to ask if they had a frizzen for my Harpers Ferry reproduction flintlock pistol.
They said they did and to send the lock to them for fitting along with a money order, which I did.
I waited for 4 months and called for about 2 weeks and just got a answer machine, no call back.
Then finally someone answered.
He looked the gun up and told me they didn't have a frizzen that fit but they were going to cast one for me.
I waited another 6 months and again had problems getting someone to answer or call me back after I left a message.

Finally he answered, looked the gun up and told me they couldn't do it at their shop but would send it out to another company to cast it.

Another 4 months went by and again it took 2 weeks of leaving messages asking them to send it back weather it was done or not.

Finally got someone to answer, looked the gun up and to my disbelief, told me the company he sent it out to couldn't or wouldn't make the frizzen.
He just put some chemicals on it and all would be fine (probably kasonite)
Then said "Ho, I just realized, the gun has been sitting on the bench for the last three months,I forgot to send it to you.
I couldn't believe this, I told him to just send it and hung up on him, I was not happy.

I received the lock on 08-10-14, fourteen months after sending it and went to the range.
It sparked well for 10 shots and then started to fail to spark every other shot.
After 20 shots it would only spark 1 out of 4 tries, the flint was fine.

I gave up when it would only spark every 6-7 tries.

That's the last time I will ever do business with them, this is completely dishonest and shameful.
I don't believe anything I was told, a complete waste of my time and money.

Back