• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder coyote?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NWTF Longhunter, that's a great story! Any animal we hunt, no matter how big or small, deserves to have us follow through with that kind of dedication. Most folks would have said "It's just a coyote", and quit the trail long before that. :hatsoff:

What an amazing hunting storie. Thanks for sharing and I can sure understand why you had him mounted. Well done Sir :hatsoff:
I once had a fox walk past me at 25ish, I stopped him and released my shaft from my flat bow. The thing was I was looking him in the eyes instead of where I wanted my arrow to go :redface: My arrow went just between his ears just above his head :shake:

One Deer season 4 coyotes passed right by the tree I was leaning against. I was watching a huge buck 200 yards away, and didn't want the coyotes to spook him, but they kept sniffing around in front of me at 50 ft or so. They started to travel off when the trailing coyote came right over and started to make funny noises about 10 feet from me. The buck trotted off into the bush, I told the coyote to leave in a low voice, but he came closer so I shot him with a .495 round ball. He was so close that the hide smoked from the shot.

NWTF Longhunter... your story of tracking that coyote is incredible. That full mount surely is a testimate to your determination and tracking skill! :bow:

I took up coyote hunting last year and have been having pretty decent success this winter (have shot 4 so far). I hunt eastern coyotes and due to a much lower population density (I think) they are much harder to come by than a western coyote. Most of the coyote calling videos are made out west, and I've seen lots of footage of guys shooting 2-3 on one stand. Here in the east, you'd be lucky to shoot 2-3 in a week if you did it full time.

Coyotes are a very challenging animal to hunt and doing so with a muzzleloader could be the ultimate BP challenge, IMHO. And they are tough critters. If you like a challenge and have lots of patience, give it a try.

And don't worry about camo, 'cuz coyotes are color blind. No matter what you wear, don't let them recognize a human form and don't let them see you move or its all over.

Pulaski Co. Tenn eh. I teach in Pulaski Co. VA. That old Count Pulaski must have gotten around. There are lots of coyotes here and around the house. The last one I tried to skin smelled so bad that I could taste it for 2 days. I need to learn about calling them in and maybe try a shot. Have a good one. Bert

Hang that puppy up by his hind legs and pull that skin off'n him while he's still warm. Use gloves, dont use yer teeth, that way ya dont get that bad taste in yer mouth.

had him come in on New Years day only to hang up about 150 yds out

Not too far for a yote with prb. Got one with a .50 cal with a 1425 fps muzzle velocity at 145 yards and it collapsed on the spot. Not as much hide damage as some of the modern varmint rigs cause.

Yep, I know.
Usually I see them in pairs at this spot and didn't know if one was in back of him. I should have pointed out it wasn't a good,clear shot for me at that range due to the terrain.
I have to work on Saturday, otherwise I'd be out. Seems the "coyote rut" is in full swing here. Females are in heat about now. Seen 3 dead ones on the road this week as well as hearing them near my house at night, more than usual.

I got one the first day of our deer season here in Ill.I shot him with a PRB in my GPR flint at approximately fifty yards right behind the left front sholder.He ran away like he was never hit, but I found him the next day down a creek bank with a hole exactly at point of aim.

i do, although more have been taken with my 243. i wanted to go to my favorite area this winter to thin them out, but there is 12ft of snow there, so i'll have to wait for a couple of weeks before any hunting. crying bunny and wouded dog by minimag howler are the two calls i use to call them in close.

Back