• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder burning hillbilly here. Lol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowweasel

32 Cal
Reaction score
Trying to work up the most accurate load for my TC Hawken 50 cal. So far most accurate load 40 gr. 2ff Swedish powder. .10 patch and .490 round ball. Would this b an effective hunting load. Thank uall for your input

Trying to work up the most accurate load for my TC Hawken 50 cal. So far most accurate load 40 gr. 2ff Swedish powder. .10 patch and .490 round ball. Would this b an effective hunting load. Thank uall for your input
You might want to check your local regulations. For example next door here in Maryland, 40 grains of powder would not be legal for deer. 60 grains is the minimum in a rifle.

The old school rule is to start with grains equal to your caliber. So in your case that would be 50 grains. AND you can use 3Fg if you want, without worry.
Then you test your load in 10 grain increments, so shoot 60 grains, 70 grains, etc looking for a very accurate loading.

Nothing wrong with 40 grains either, so long as it's legal, and so long as you're close enough that the bullet does its job.

I started with 60 grains of 3Fg simply because I can't use 50 grains for deer in my state. I found that 70 grains was very accurate, and that I got no advantage out as far as 100 yards by going heavier, when using a patched, round ball. When I switched over from a .50 to a .54..., I had similar results so continued to use that as my main charge.

Barrels differ in what works so you will find folks who do better with 80 grains and even with 90 grains. To each their own. The deer don't know the difference, unless the load is inaccurate. I'd say for now, there's no reason to stress out your shoulder nor your stock by going over 90 grains..., even if you have a powder measure that will go as high as 120 grains. ;)

Change calibers or change projectiles, and the powder load will likely change. Some of the folks use .62 rifles, or even larger smoothbores, and so use larger powder loads too.

LD

I have read, on here and other places that some rifles have 2x sweet spot accuracy loads. Usually a fairly low one and another roughly double that. With that in mind, you might try 80 grains. That would be a more common hunting load.

I guess I've killed more animals with a 50 tc than any other firearm. For me the most practical and reliable load was 70 grains powder and .018 patch. 3f or 2f both good. Early on, always a 490 ball but later and now a 495 ball, 70 grains 2f or 3f and a JoAnnes fabric #40 drill patch.

I think your .010 patch is on the thin side. Often a too thin patch shoots fine up close but the accuracy can degrade at longer distance and way out of proportion to the expected or computed MOA.

Latest posts

Back