• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best lock made today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My L&R was one of the best locks I had ever seen. I had a Davis that was useless, sent it back and got a replacement that was great... so it goes.
Chambers are very good and I’ve never heard any one complain in any way about them,

Flint62Smoothie said:
Not having firsthand knowledge of locks by Mr. Roller, I’d put Caywood locks made by Mike Rowe in the #1 spot!

But I heard that Mike left Caywood Gunmakers? Are their current build locks just as good? ... should be ”˜excellent’ ... in place of ”˜good’ by the way, and hopefully they still are.

I’ve seen Chambers locks assembled by someone else besides Jim or the true craftsmen in CLA ... and the results are like those of the ”˜loose & rusty’ locks - hit or miss.

Ive got 3 Caywood locks that were purchased after Mike left Caywood an They are right there with Chambers in my opinion. I have so much confidence in them that when I had Don Bruton put one in my most used deer rifle an a Caywood is in my spare deer rifle just in case I do something stupid like fall on it an break the wrist like I did on my turkey gun a few yrs back

I had at least 20 flintlocks at one time. Locks from all different makers, cheap and well respected. To an extent, it is like a ford-chevy-dodge thing. But none of them run at racetracks unless tweaked and modified. Had a few older rifles and pistols with junky locks. Probably the most impressive for ease and speed, was a North Star lock from Curly Gostomski. Even stranger was the fact that I used the same flint in that gun for several seasons of small game and infrequent match shooting. That lock definitely did not eat flints.

Also had a cheap Indian flintlock pistol that had a light trigger pull and would light up the neighborhood when it sparked. The person that sold the gun, told me the lock had been tweaked by a gunsmith in Virginia. It showed.

Had L&R's Chamber's Silers, Davis, and a few Dixie, Spanish, Italian, German and Japanese locks. Never had an original in good enough shape to try. No matter which of the better locks folks recommend, they need tweaking to reach their best potential. The German flint pistol, works great for a production lock. Just that the aluminum lock plate is bizarre.

Another thing that many do not consider is the fit between the trigger and the lock sear. Had a two guns with single triggers that went off as lightly and easily as a set DST. On one the trigger was so light it would have been considered too light by many. Also had guns with good locks on which the triggers were slightly misplaced and even with double set triggers the locks were slower to be tripped. Might as well been a five pound trigger pull on a Spanish pistol.

LJA said:
TerryK said:
What is the best lock in your opinion that is available commercially.

I think the best lock is independant of manufacturer but totally dependent on the individual assembler and their committment to doing a quality job. I have been building for over 50 years and have used locks from all the main manufacturers. Those locks have ranged from excellent to non-functioning from each of the manufacturers. No matter whose, or which model lock I buy, I consider it to be a kit which will need some "smithing" to bring it to a top level of performance.
This is "spot on" info. I have a Chambers Colonial Va lock purchased from Jim and it is the most perfect lock I have ever saw or used (never saw or held a Roller lock). I don't know who assembled it but their workmanship was fantastic.

I have several Roller locks, even one that is left handed for one of my boys.

Bob is not really making locks anymore. He has a few on his bench, but he has stated that he is not taking orders.

Fleener

The French Trade Gun kit I ordered from Clay Smith arrived with a MG lock and it has been flawless. I lost the frizzen screw during assembly and Larry shipped me a new one free of charge. I would definitely by another one of his locks.

I had a Davis that was useless, sent it back and got a replacement that was great...

My :cursing: Davis had a bad frizzen, both in design and, in their own words, "cast with the wrong [steel] powder". They would not replace, I had to pay for another. Did I say that made me :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: ?

For me, the best of the bunch are the Chambers round faced locks, either English or Virginia, (same lock in essence,) Or, the Early Ketland.
(same guts again pretty well)
Not built newer styles, so haven't tried his late Ketland yet.

Had Davis, and sent them back.

Back