• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Being 'pushed' to modern weapons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
There's a problem I'm encountering concerning BP shooting that I realized is having the effect of pushing me to an increased use of modern weapons over muzzleloaders. Mainly the decrease in the availability of places to shoot BP guns outside of hunting season.

I used to go a private range about an hour away, but that went out of business about 2 years ago. Then I went to a Forest Service range about 2 hours away, which is a bit far to start with and limited my number of shooting trips, but the Forest Service 'temporarily' closed it about a year ago for 'review'. To date there's been no 'review', and no action toward reopening the range either.

I used to be able to shoot on a state game lands not too far, although there's no range, but you could target shoot in the woods, but they closed that game land to target shooting.

There's a county range, but they will only allow BP substitutes, no real BP. I've been doing my shooting at an indoor range but that's limited to pistol-caliber weapons and no BP or subs allowed. So I find that this year, while I've been shooting maybe 20 times, it’s all been modern weapons, pistol caliber (which includes .22 rifle).

As a kid I used to just go out to the woods behind my house, but now I live in a suburban town (yeah, I know that’s my first mistake, spousal issues involved there :( ) so there’s no possibility of that.

Other people having this kind of problem? Any suggestions?

Not yet but have been holding my breath...have thought many times 'what if' the privately owned, fairly informal local place that I shoot was no longer available.
I joked here a few years ago that if I ever hit the lottery big time I'd buy a track of land and open up a good blackpowder shooting range, both to ensure I had a place to shoot as well as to help promote the sport...but of course, the odds...

Squirrel,
Before you give up on BP shooting, I suggest you contact the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association, nmlra.org. Ask them about any charter clibes that may be within easy driving distance of your home. Many times there are clubs, big and small, or functions going on that everyone is not aware of. Where are you located, perhaps one of the members here can help you out.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
John goes to church, to seek solace in his plight which (not uncommonly) is cause by a lack of money.

He is suddenly overwhelmed by the calming beauty of the church- the stained glass windows, the beautiful lighting, the carvings and so on. So he fall on his knees in prayer.

"Lord God on High," he prays," My sister won the lottery, and my brother won the Powerball, and my cousin won the MegaMillions. I have won nothing, Lord. Am I unworthy in thy sight? Have I offended thee? Please oh Lord of Hosts, open mine eyes that I might see the error of my ways."

(que Heavenly music) he hears a voice, quietly is speaks to him:

Dumba$$, buy a ticket like everyone else

(yes, blasphemous, but i just couldn't resist, and yes, if i did hit the lotto, i'd buy that big and otherwise useless piece of property to the east and set up a range, just to pi$$ off the hippie-dippies.)

That's tough. I feel sorry for your situation. Being a bit of a political activist, my first thought involves your county regulations. I would gather facts and list logical reasons why the county restriction against bp is pointless. Then approach whoever is in charge (county judge/exec. director; county board/quorum court, etc.) and request the restriction be lifted to permit real bp. You might also want to research why the restriction was put in place at all. I'm surmising because of misinformation and unreasoned fear. Or someone in charge may have owned a gunshop and didn't sell real bp. Never overlook the political aspect of these things. Or try approaching someone with influence in advance to help clear the way for you. Good luck.

Squirrel Tail said:
There's a county range, but they will only allow BP substitutes, no real BP. Any suggestions?

Buy a can of Pyrodex or Triple Se7en & toss the contents, fill with Goex & Ta Daaaah!
Most folks will never even know the difference.

Obviously this is naughty & the suggestion is made purely in jest :wink: In no way do I advocate taking advantage of, or breaking a silly rule. *Ahem*

The forest service has closed two informal ranges here, on forest land. Mostly because the folks who use them are frickin' slobs that won't pick up their trash, and both places looked like a garbage dump. Some of the pressure was from locals who didn't like the guns going off in their backyard, and the "slobs" weren't careful which direction they shot. Along with what Rifleman said, we also need to police our ranks. I went out to the one in lefthand canyon once to try and clean it up, but it was way too much a task for me, alone. It doesn't matter who is shooting out there, it gives us all a bad name.

Find two or three other like minded guys in your area. Get together and incorporate a club. Buy an acre or two of land within 50 miles, and build yourself a range. With a couple of guys together it's cheaper than golf or season tickets to professional football. :grin:

Is there an Izaak Walton League near you? They would have an outdoor range. The one near me charges $100.00 - $120.00 for annual dues.

Great news! (For me) Just to check for myself, I called around today and found out that the private range I used to shoot at and that was closed has been purchased by someone else and reopened under a different name. Their public hours are a bit limited, but that's a good reason to finally break down and actually join the club.

Probably should have checked on this before now. :redface:
I'm happy! :grin: :grin:

Man, reading these stories about restricted shooting and expensive club dues etc. really makes me greatful for where I live. I can drive 10 min from my house and shoot anything I want all I want. My brother has 140 acres half hour from me I can hunt any time I want. Makes me sad to know so many others don't have that privlidge.

I realise that not all of us are fortunate enough to live in a rural area where we can shoot any thing any time. My wife insisted that we move into town and get a smaller place. I hope she likes her new place, I'll sure miss her apple crisps. But a man has to do what he has to do. :rotf: :idunno: :rotf: :haha: (Truthfully The wife lets me play with my guns here on the farm, even after I blew a finger off!) :nono:

Yep, me too, except for the hunting. :shake: I joined a shooting club for $100.00 a year. And the range is only 10 miles away. :) Love living in the country!.

I am not exactly sure what I think about such a situation.

I do my best thinking while I am shooting.

I think I wil have to take my new flint lock out on the front porch and shoot a few steel gongs while I ponder on your situation?? :surrender: Tom.

Back