• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel weights according to Jim Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The woodsrunner I just assembled had metal shavings in the barrel. I was pretty surprised. I felt something when I was measuring the ram rod, and I thought it would be a rag with lapping compound. So I put a worm on a rod and pulled out a bunch of swarth. There was more cuttings, maybe a teaspoon full, I just snapped a picture of some of it. There was no lapping compound in the metal cuttings, so I know it was not lapped. I did the lapping myself with knife lapping compound. It is like ice now, loads and cleans well. I don't know if lapping is part of the Green Mountain process, but this one was not lapped.
Rifling looks good, and feels uniform with a tight patch, but I was pretty concerned about quality control. I did send Kibler a quick email with the pics for their reference in dealing with GM.
It shoots really well, so really a nonissue, but I was anxious to finish it and do testing.
AuFAuYQ.jpg

Bwih5I9.jpg

The woodsrunner I just assembled had metal shavings in the barrel.....
That pic is disgusting!! I think maybe someone in the shop skipped a barrel prep step. The bore of my new SMR .45 cal barrel had some light machining dust in it; easily cleaned out, as I would do to any new barrel.

During the tour of his shop all i saw were full round barrel blanks . Were not octagon at all.
That makes more sense than my assumption that he was buying in the Octagon. Why re machine when it's simpler to do it all more economical for gm and kibler.

The woodsrunner I just assembled had metal shavings in the barrel. I was pretty surprised. I felt something when I was measuring the ram rod, and I thought it would be a rag with lapping compound. So I put a worm on a rod and pulled out a bunch of swarth. There was more cuttings, maybe a teaspoon full, I just snapped a picture of some of it. There was no lapping compound in the metal cuttings, so I know it was not lapped. I did the lapping myself with knife lapping compound. It is like ice now, loads and cleans well. I don't know if lapping is part of the Green Mountain process, but this one was not lapped.
Rifling looks good, and feels uniform with a tight patch, but I was pretty concerned about quality control. I did send Kibler a quick email with the pics for their reference in dealing with GM.
It shoots really well, so really a nonissue, but I was anxious to finish it and do testing.
AuFAuYQ.jpg

Bwih5I9.jpg
Looks like breech plug thread tapping chips, no big deal! I have quite a few muzzle loaders and BP cartridge guns I've built using GM barrels. I usually have to lap them to dull the land corners or they will cut patches for a hundred rounds or so.
They are the most uniformly bored and rifled barrels I have checked with my set of plug gauges though and I've yet to have one that was not accurate.

Back