• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel weights according to Jim Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a post on another forum the weights are, and I quote

"With a medium weight sugar maple stock, weights are as follows:

.45 caliber 8.1#
.50 caliber 7.7#
.54 caliber 7.3#

Jim"

I don't see the questions about wanting a larger caliber being a much lighter gun. Looks like .4 pound.

The historicly correct length for a "longrifle" , is 38' barrel to 46" barrel. If using a straight octagon barrel , weight can be reduced by shortening a barrel. With a tapered and flaired barrel , all you can do is order the correct length barrel to maintain the barrel profile. Considering weight of the gun , you get what you get with taper and flaired.

The historicly correct length for a "longrifle" , is 38' barrel to 46" barrel. If using a straight octagon barrel , weight can be reduced by shortening a barrel. With a tapered and flaired barrel , all you can do is order the correct length barrel to maintain the barrel profile. Considering weight of the gun , you get what you get with taper and flaired.
No doubt about it the fastest way to reduce barrel weight is to reduce length. I've turned quite a few barrels to round and half round in my metal lathe and the chip pile that comes off looks enormous but when weighed really is relatively light for the size of the mass.
My .45 cal 13/16s octagon barreled , GM SMR, I just put on my accurate scales, weights 6 lbs, 14.5 ounces with a maple stock and the barrel cut to 36 inches and is a dream to carry and shoot.
Had I lived in the 1700s and been a long hunter it would have been all I would have ever needed and wanted me thinks.

Attachments

• IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 0
Gun weight can only be estimated. My .54 WR weighs substantially less.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230802_095721.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230802_095721.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a Kibler Colonial that I had purchased two barrels, 50cal and 58cal. They are finished identically, are dimensionally identical except for the bore size, Both are 1-1.5MOA shooters out to 100 yards or so using PLRBs. Takes about 5 minutes to switch between the two calibers. With the added weight (about 1 pound), the recoil difference between the two is negligible. Also, I will say that the difference in perceived weight, balance, handling, and overall ergonomics for my medium frame build is quite noticeable with the 58cal having become my favorite shooter/hunter for the last few years.

I would think that a SMR weight would be substantially less than a woodsrunner would be. Seems like I heard in the recent past that a fella built a 45 cal black walnut SMR Kibler and the finished weight was around 6.5 lbs. that is in my opinion a nice weight. This is what I have my sights set on but if it weighs in at 8 lbs, think I would consider a different rifle.

The .45 in SMR would likely be a great rifle to carry. Mine is in .40 and weighs less than my WR yet is more bothersome to carry because it is muzzle heavy.

I would think that a SMR weight would be substantially less than a woodsrunner would be. Seems like I heard in the recent past that a fella built a 45 cal black walnut SMR Kibler and the finished weight was around 6.5 lbs. that is in my opinion a nice weight. This is what I have my sights set on but if it weighs in at 8 lbs, think I would consider a different rifle.
It's kind of tough to get a long rifle with a hardwood stock substantially under 7 lbs. Now a smooth bore is a different story as the barrels are usually much thinner walled.

My maple SMR in 45 is 6 pounds 2 ounces.
My maple Woodsrunner is 7 pounds 6 ounces.
Both have aperture sights, so that may add an ounce or two.
They are radically different. I can offhand shoot the SMR better. For my hold, it is steadier.
I just started using the woodsrunner, and I have to figure out a hold, so time will tell.

My maple SMR in 45 is 6 pounds 2 ounces.
My maple Woodsrunner is 7 pounds 6 ounces.
Both have aperture sights, so that may add an ounce or two.
They are radically different. I can offhand shoot the SMR better. For my hold, it is steadier.
I just started using the woodsrunner, and I have to figure out a hold, so time will tell.
Whats the barrel length and flat diameter ?

For the Kibler smr my .40 caliber feels heavier than another's .45. Neither is really heavy just a different feel.

I dont have my woods runner with me, but the SMR is 44 inches long and 7/8 at the end of the barrel.
It was made last year, so it is marked green mountain 1/70.
I just shot the SMR offhand practice. I really swear it is quicker than the woodsrunner. I can shoot the SMR way better offhand. Both with light loads/little recoil.

I dont have my woods runner with me, but the SMR is 44 inches long and 7/8 at the end of the barrel.
It was made last year, so it is marked green mountain 1/70.
I just shot the SMR offhand practice. I really swear it is quicker than the woodsrunner. I can shoot the SMR way better offhand. Both with light loads/little recoil.
Do either have swamped barrels , that seems awfully light for a 44 inch 7/8s across flats barrel in .45 cal?

All kiblers are swamped. Kibler used to buy barrels from Rice but has switched to GM. Apparently the barrels are delivered to Jim as straight octagon and he puts the swamped profile on them.

All kiblers are swamped. Kibler used to buy barrels from Rice but has switched to GM. Apparently the barrels are delivered to Jim as straight octagon and he puts the swamped profile on them.
That's good news to me as GM barrels are not made of 12L14 like Rice barrels are. GM uses 1134 barrel certified steel and swamping is a good profile for anything but bench guns.

Latest posts

Back