• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arkansas Jim

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother and I bought Jim Kibler's SMR in 32 caliber. We had sent inquiries to Jim regarding elongating the holes for the pins holding the stock on but have not had a call back . Also having trouble with the rear sight. The dovetail is very shallow and my sight moved while shooting. We are very impressed with the gun and love that lock ! I am sure Jim is very busy with all his new guns and customer contacts so we are hoping you fellers can give us some suggestions. We are not opposed to installing different sights, we want to hunt squirrels !

For elongating the barrel lug holes you will need to get yourself a jeweler's saw and some replacement blades. They will break.

For the sight, put it upside down in a vice and use a center punch to put some divots into the base. This should solve that problem.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

My brother and I bought Jim Kibler's SMR in 32 caliber. We had sent inquiries to Jim regarding elongating the holes for the pins holding the stock on but have not had a call back . Also having trouble with the rear sight. The dovetail is very shallow and my sight moved while shooting. We are very impressed with the gun and love that lock ! I am sure Jim is very busy with all his new guns and customer contacts so we are hoping you fellers can give us some suggestions. We are not opposed to installing different sights, we want to hunt squirrels !
A small needle file could also be used to elongate the holes in the underlugs. I use the needle file.

Use light taps with a brass punch on the dovetail to tighten the sides of the dovetail to hold the sights in place.

Look, I bought a gun for little money because the unknowing first owner did NOT seek advice from those with experience. You're doing the smart thing. People here will give lots advice. Now all you got to do is figure out what advice you want to follow. Good thing it's all written down.
I advise you to be aware that there are scammers and spammers that pray on anyone they can. There are threads and posts explaining what to look for and how to report them. WELCOME says this man in Michigan, Steve

A small needle file could also be used to elongate the holes in the underlugs. I use the needle file.

Use light taps with a brass punch on the dovetail to tighten the sides of the dovetail to hold the sights in place.
Thanks for your ideas Where did you find the needle file Sounds like a great solution My brother found jewler's saw but we didn't have success with it, probably "cockpit" trouble !!! Arkansas Jim

Thanks for your ideas Where did you find the needle file Sounds like a great solution My brother found jewler's saw but we didn't have success with it, probably "cockpit" trouble !!! Arkansas Jim
Most local hardware stores should have sets of needle files. Retailers such as Harbor Freight or Northern Tool have economical sets that will have the small diameter files that will work to elongate the holes in the underlugs. It doesn't take much.

The fine woodworking shops such as Rockler or Woodcraft will also have sets of needle files.

Online General resellers such as Amazon or E-Bay will have sets available.

I would have thought that the source for the jeweler's saw should have carried needle files.

Best way to contact them is send an email to Bree. But the above post give the correct fix to your problems. I might add is make sure you have the barrel secured in a padded vise before sawing the slots, same with cleaning up the dovetails. Work slowly, you can't put the metal back on once it's off.

I got the rear sight installed but the dovetail seems very shallow. Everything I read seems to suggest the normal depth should be much deeper. .090 . I see that Trail of the Wolf has a service for recutting and installing a new cast sight that will be oversized. If I understand this process correctly, as the depth is recut the dovetail gets larger. It will require a larger sight base. I’ll be contacting Trail of the Wolf this week. In the meantime I will be shooting the rifle.

Back