• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aren't Ticks wonderful?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave K

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Out the past 2 days for a little turkey hunting, but for walks and mushrooms. The ticks are terrible! I know it is the best time of year to be a tick, but there sure is enough of them not to be lonely. There is not as many in the outdoors as there was about 3 days ago though.

All the talk was that this year ticks would be even worse due to the early warm spring, so I really worked at preparing...managed to get through 7 days of turkey hunting so far without a single tick on me.

Went to the most extreme lengths I ever have, spraying / saturating everything I wear and use (except my guns) with a very strong solution of Permethrin, mixed 3oz/gallon...I mix it in a spray tank normally used to spray weeds in the yard that I bought just for this purpose.

Spread out changes of clothes, boots, a little chair I use on a large sheet of contractor's plastic, and literally drench everything...leave them laying there on the plastic for a week to completely dry out.

Then I used a normal aerosol can of 29% Deet to spray on what little exposed skin there was left, business as usual.

My 8yr old son had his first tick last week. It was on his little man tool - right behind the head. :shake: I used a tweezer to pull it out. Got the whole head and body. We froze it, just in case we need it later.

I felt so sorry for him. First time and it had to be in that spot. :doh:

Worst I've ever seen em in my neck of the woods this year too. On what I consider a normal year I dont have to spray until first week of april for ticks or skeeters while hunting BUT this year on our opening day (march 15th) the skeeters eat this fat redneck up and I found several ticks crawling. And I've already seen a hen with some looked to be few day old poults and I normally dont see that till mid to end of may. earliest spring that I can remember :idunno:

had more ticks on me this year already then most years total, n thats just around the yard. Ain't even got in to the big woods much. Seriously thinking on getting a few chicken or ginny hens to combat the little blood suckers, and have had both the bigger (normal around here) dog ticks and the little deer ticks, been tested twice for lymes n so far so good, repellents don't seem to make much of a difference either, this past weird winter sure didn't help kill any off it seems, let the dogs out n have to check them several times a day, n that after I've treated the yard a couple times

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know about that stuff to put on. I had my dog with me one day. The night before I had put on him his dose of Front Line. Though the ticks were on him about an hour after we left the area, they had not found a place on him to dig in. So I guess you can say the stuff was working. We actually got our ticks in some tall grass and not in the woods.

ChrisHarris said:
My 8yr old son had his first tick last week. It was on his little man tool - right behind the head. :shake: I used a tweezer to pull it out. Got the whole head and body. We froze it, just in case we need it later.

I felt so sorry for him. First time and it had to be in that spot. :doh:

Happened to me at the same age (8), back in 1973, but it was attached right on the tip :shocked2: :idunno: Not a pleasant finding!! :shake: , but Dad took care of it! We were at a muzzleloading shoot near Old Town, Fla, and had walked through the woods quite a bit.

2 weeks ago the wife and I took a long walk out to a scenic point over looking the marsh..grass height between shine and knee.
pulled 14 wood ticks off ..1 deer tick...pulled 4 more off in the truck on the way home....Thick is not the word...
I pre-spray at least 3 days in advance all exterior hunting clothes with premix bed bug and flea killer...05 percent Perethin...works for me.
But it helped with 26 degree mornings.

I sprayed all my clothes with Permethrin spray just prior to turkey season and so far haven't found a single tick. Anyone know just how long it lasts on clothes?

hanshi said:
I sprayed all my clothes with Permethrin spray just prior to turkey season and so far haven't found a single tick. Anyone know just how long it lasts on clothes?
Advertised as 'bonding' to the fabric and supposedly withstands 3-4 washings.
Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry and when I take them out of the wash, I lay them out on plastic again while they're still wet, and drench them all over again...that's just me.

I don't have the big concentrate container, just a spray can. And I just finished respraying my field duds again just for the insurance. I don't trust or like ticks! :shake:

If you think ticks are bad, you should try good ole' Kentucky turkey mites. With their microscopic size, you are eaten up before you realize it. With our growing turkey population, they get worse each summer. Several of my buddies have gotten so many that a trip to the doctor was required. Two friends got thousands of them by just driving through a hay field with the windows down.

It's enough to make one want to avoid the KY woods!

Anyone else have these?

roundball said:
Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry and when I take them out of the wash, I lay them out on plastic again while they're still wet, and drench them all over again...that's just me.
Although there is no doubt toxicity is low, it's not zero, and it would be wise to avoid more exposure than is absolutely necessary. The National Pesticide Information Center says as much on their permethrin page:

"Always follow label instructions and take steps to minimize exposure."

Absorption through the skin is very low, but it is much higher when either ingested or inhaled.

Spence

George said:
roundball said:
Although there is no doubt toxicity is low, it's not zero, and it would be wise to avoid more exposure than is absolutely necessary. The National Pesticide Information Center says as much on their permethrin page:
"Always follow label instructions and take steps to minimize exposure."
Absorption through the skin is very low, but it is much higher when either ingested or inhaled.
Spence
Always advisable of course...and just so we're clear, I don't wear the clothes wet with it.
In fact, I have less direct contact with the chemical doing it this way for the past few years than in all the previous years.
Back then I used to get where I was going, stand at the truck and saturate my pant legs which would then be against my skin for the next few hours.

(of course there is that 3rd foot growing out of my ear... :hmm: ...LOL)

Yeah Spence. I had read about them after half the hunters and ginseng diggers, that visit my country store, were nearly eaten by the little critters. I am sure they have always been around, but they seem to be much worse after the turkey invasion. When I was a kid in Eastern Ky I don't remember problems with the larvae getting under the skin in these kind of numbers. Got my share of ticks and chiggers, but never as bad as several I have seen in the past couple of years.

Back