• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are Percussion caps corrosive?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a full stock Hawken percussion rifle--.54 Getz barrel, L&R lock--that I have only shot targets with. My usual procedure at the range is to wipe the barrel dry with alcohol, fire a couple caps, load up and shoot.

If I hunt with this rifle will the same procedure be OK if I don't shoot it for a couple days? Or will popping a couple caps cause corrosion in my breech and barrel if I don't unload and clean that night? I shoot RWS caps, if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

Non corrosive caps were introduced in the 1930s. By Remington, I believe but I find it hard to imagine that anyone is still making them.

cgg said:
I have a full stock Hawken percussion rifle--.54 Getz barrel, L&R lock--that I have only shot targets with. My usual procedure at the range is to wipe the barrel dry with alcohol, fire a couple caps, load up and shoot.

If I hunt with this rifle will the same procedure be OK if I don't shoot it for a couple days? Or will popping a couple caps cause corrosion in my breech and barrel if I don't unload and clean that night? I shoot RWS caps, if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

I follow that same procedure for hunting and I also use RWS caps...NEVER had a bit of problem...I usually go hunting for a week in the wet and the cold...

Don't know if you could call it corrosive, but the junk caps leave after fireing IS hygroscopic and WILL pick up moisture and start rust.

I always set up for a deer hunt with a clean, dry, nipple and fire channel. I wouldn't want to run the risk of some of that cap junk plugging the hole in the nipp. Heck it happens during a regular shoot/turniment,,that's why I carry a nipple pick. I just wouldn't want to have to use it as Mr.Whitetail is trotting away because of a miss-fire.

Modern caps, like centerfire primers, are noncorrosive. Don't know about weird foreign caps (not German as they are fine) from third world countries but commercially available caps are not corrosive.

Back