• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone use Kap Kovers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txhunter58

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a little item a couple of years ago for my T/C renegade percussion that I really like. It is called a Kap Kover. It is a brass cover with a rubber O-ring inside. it fits down over your nipple with a snug fit (due to the O-ring). It does two things: makes the nipple assembly waterproof, and serves as a "safety" because if the hammer was to release, it hits the brass cover and not the primer. Has a hole in the top that allows a leather strap to attach the cover to the gun so you don't loose it when you take it off to shoot.

I think it is a great invention, and don't know why they haven't gone over better. Got my first one from Cabelas, but not you have to order them direct.

Anyone else using one?

Best thing since sliced bread...I put them on every percussion my Son and I owned

I have been making my own cap covers for twenty years out of round 'bar stock'... Every one of my percussion rifles have one attached with a leather lace to the trigger guard along with a leather cone cover that slides up over it to protect from foul weather... They are safe, and easy to use and time tested... They are a good invention for everyone who carrys a percussion rifle loaded and capped, especially during hunting season... I make mine in a cone shape and fit them to be snug while on halfcock... They work great...

Whatever happened to a "Cow's Knee"??? Well, I suppose it is the "age" to produce articles not needed & flood the market with all sorts of new fangled stuff, but the cow's knee worked, kept the whole lock area dry, and dates waaaaaaayyyy back. It's still the best water proofer and faster to remove than little fiddly things that go missing from cold knumb fingers.

Agree that the cow's knee provides shelter from the weather, but the Kap Kover is a 100% tight o-ring moisture seal and has the secondary benefit of being a solid safety device too...heck, them percussion rifles are already new fangled so a little brass bell over the nipple won't matter ::

Never seen one before. I always used non traditional methods for waterproofing the nipple. I will have to get the metal layth out and make a few of them. I have some very thin rubber pads to make the O rings out of... great idea...

Back