• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another TC question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw something posted a few days ago that I had not heard of. Was there a time when TC had shallower rifling than they currently produce? The reason that I ask is that I have a TC Renegade which has shallow rifling. I thought it was just that worn, but now I wonder. The lands still look sharp - just that the grooves arfe shallow. What is the deal?

Pork Chop said:
I saw something posted a few days ago that I had not heard of. Was there a time when TC had shallower rifling than they currently produce? The reason that I ask is that I have a TC Renegade which has shallow rifling. I thought it was just that worn, but now I wonder. The lands still look sharp - just that the grooves arfe shallow. What is the deal?
Actually the reverse is true, earlier T/C rifles had much deeper rifling than is currently being produced.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I suspect your rifle may be one of those that someone tried to " Season". The grooves are filled with caked on crud. Soak the barrel in water with soap, for a couple of days, and then scrub it repeatedly with a bronze bore brush. You will get huge chunks of black gunk out of those grooves, but eventually, you will get it back down to bare metal again. It will shoot like new- only better, as those lands have already been polished by all the shots fired through the barrel. :hatsoff:

years ago i had a renegade and it had deep rifling. my tc hawken i used to have however, had very shallow rifling.

have a cva hawken with shallow rifling, a cva mtn stalker with deep rifling. just one of those odd ball things companies do.

I bought my Hawken in 1973. It had shallow groove rifling. About .005. The only deep rifled T-C's were cut rifled. The rest are button rifled, and you can only go so deep using that system.

The reason that I ask is that I have a TC Renegade which has shallow rifling. I thought it was just that worn, but now I wonder. The lands still look sharp - just that the grooves arfe shallow. What is the deal?

As said, the later ones have shallower rifling. Mine is a 1974 model and it's rifling is pretty shallow too. Also note that the GPR and Traditions rifles are pretty shallow. The CVAs seem to be a bit deeper.

Doubt if there is any substantial wear to the rifling and probably no crud either.

The proof is in the pudding! How does she shoot?

I haven't shot it. I have a couple of CVA Mountain rifles, an Investarm Hawken, a CVA Bobcat and this Renegade in .50. I shoot one of the Mountain rifles and the Investarm. This TC is just taking up space. I had thought of selling it, but when I was under the impression that it was shot out rifling wise, I sort of lost interest in that. I have been hanging onto it in the event I find a cheap .54 barrel. This barrel is an old one - partridge sights, no warning junk on the barrel, no Renegade name, etc. It is a TC as that is on there. There is no crud in the barrel - I have cleaned it up and found no evidence of the grooves being filled with junk.

It is confusing with some saying yes, early were shallow and others saying no, early were deep.

from what you have described your barrel is just fine. The normal T/C barrel with 1/48 twist is for shooting both conical and round balls and have a groove depth of around .005"
T/C also had some barrels that were normally marked very plainly (Round ball barrel) and they had a 1/66 twist and deeper rifling around .010"

Thanks. It seems to me that my .45 barrel has deeper rifling. Maybe I should put them together and compare. Maybe I should just get rid of the Renegade and forget about it.

Back