• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Anti-rust Potion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the early sixties I used only whale oil as it was considered the best. I then realized that as a shooting lube it could not be beat, but as a rust preventive it did not do nearly as well as petrolium based oils. As to STP I tried it once and it certainly prevented rust, but the fouling was HORRIBLE. As to the Jobola bean oil. I can not tell the difference between it and the real sperm whale oil ( I have a few ounces of the real stuff left). I settled on using a mixture of 80% lard 20% beeswax for shooting and three in one oil for rust prevention. Washing it out well with alcohol before loading. :idunno: :idunno:

As to whale oil being the best lubricating oil ever invented, I believe it was used for the Hubble telescope! :idunno: :idunno:

I actually use my 80% lard 20% beeswax lube on the horse's feet. It works better than any of the pine tar hoof treatments.And it makes a great hand ointment in the winter as well. :idunno: :idunno:

[/quote]
In some places it depends upon which corner of the store you're facing and why you went there :haha:
LD[/quote]

As we get older it becomes more and more difficult to remember why we DID go there. :haha: :v:

I still have a Brownells can of whale oil 3/4 full and have put it into a new can as the original was rusting out from the outside.

I have been offered over $100 for it as the big slug gun shooters swear by it for their cross patches.

I keep it as a collector item "I" want.

There are many new items to replace it but I do need to use it for their uses.

Now a days beeswax, TOW mink oil and Morel snow cap lard works for what I need. The lard has replaced Crisco for secular reasons.

Mobil 1 has been my go to for the unmentionable NFA's.

ohio ramrod said:
As to whale oil being the best lubricating oil ever invented, I believe it was used for the Hubble telescope! :idunno: :idunno:

:shake: It has been determined that boiled Okra is used in most space related lubricating needs

Have you ever heard of jojoba oil? Supposedly it has the same molecular structure as whale oil and even smells like it. I believe it’s made from the nuts of a plant. I heard that it’s being used as a replacement for whale oil! Been looking on line for it now with some results. Also appears to be pricey!
Everyone feel free to jump in with any info. Art

Latest posts

Back