• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

...and yet another Ketland Trade Pistol kit from MBS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this kit. I "finished" mine by drilling the vent the night before last, after a series of firsts - the first *real* kit I tackled (i.e. not a shake-the-box variety), first experience with a drill press, tapping, actual carving/shaping, fitting, etc. It's not pretty and I made some non-fatal mistakes that only an experienced eye will notice. Still need to mount the sight, wrist inlay, keep experimenting with the finish, maybe polish it up a little more...leaves me feeling like I want to take a crack at another one though...

Thinking I will next apply some fresh Tru Oil to give some depth to the grain, and hopefully darken it a little

Attachments

• Ketland2.jpg
    Ketland2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Ketland1.jpg
    Ketland1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lessons learned include: finally figuring out how to inlay brass fixtures without creating an unnecessarily large hole (Hint: bevel the fixture *first* and trace with a pencil and/or fine Xacto, start removing material from the inside out, then use inletting black), USE A REAL DRILL PRESS! (a couple of mis-aligned holes taught me that my Dremel drill press, while very good for small jobs, isn't terribly good at drilling a hole for the tang bolt). I got a Ryobi at HD for under $200 and it's really good. More to come, because we never really finish these, do we?

Last edited:
You could mix some dark brown Transtint dye into your Tru Oil and that will modify the color darker, as you wish, though it won't give more depth to the grain. Tru Oil alone won't do that. You might try doing some selective steel wooling before you apply the colored finish, which results in more finish and therefore more affect where you want it. Be sure to get the wool shavings off the finish first. They can be "sticky".

Nice looking pistol. :thumb:

Just ordered two belt hooks from MBS because the website didn't say they were out of stock anymore. When received I will cancel the MVT order because, you know, they take a long time...One of those is going on the Ketland

Added something here that I like. Still need to brown the barrel. There's always something to do...

Attachments

• PXL_20230815_205432361.jpg
    PXL_20230815_205432361.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back