• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alternative for Pedersoli Indian trade gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry2357

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well almost pulled the trigger on the Pedersoli trade gun and stopped and figured I’d come here first. It’s still not out of the question but I need to ask. Anyone know of any builders out there where the wait time is not a humongous amount for delivery? Also, I can throw in a few hundred more than the pedersoli,,,, or maybe the pedersoli would be the way to go??? All I know is it’s time for a smoothie trade gun. Thanks, joe

I have one and it’s a great sparker and shooter. I’m sure you can get a more expensive custom one that might look more period correct which seems to bother some people. If not you can’t beat it.

My thoughts, as I have a kit coming. What will you be using it for? If shooting RB, the Pedersoli would probably be a good choice as it wont be the lightest trade gun. Mine will be used for wing shooting and hunting thru thick cover, thus I went with a trade gun that will come in under 6 pounds. I also went with 36 inch barrels for that light a gun, as it should help with swinging thru clays or bird flushes. I had seriously considered a 30 inch barrel to cut down on weight.

Well almost pulled the trigger on the Pedersoli trade gun and stopped and figured I’d come here first. It’s still not out of the question but I need to ask. Anyone know of any builders out there where the wait time is not a humongous amount for delivery? Also, I can throw in a few hundred more than the pedersoli,,,, or maybe the pedersoli would be the way to go??? All I know is it’s time for a smoothie trade gun. Thanks, joe

For simply shooting a smoothbore flinter, you're really not going to beat the Pedersoli Trade Musket in kit form (imho). I have an Indian parts trade gun too, as well as the Pedersoli, and there is a difference for that extra $400. Further, you're looking at another $800 above the factory price for the kit if you got a used, custom built gun. Brand new and built? Probably looking at perhaps a grand more....

LD

I was already familiar with Pedersoli, so I went ahead with the Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun Kit and purchased from Dixie back in August, since they were the only ones who had them in stock. At that time, no one had any Pedersoli Trade Guns in stock. Glad I went ahead and bought the kit, it took me just a little over 30 hours to finish, and I'm happy with it which is all that matters. After opening up the touch hole and polishing the flash pan, I've had no problems with ignition and the lock is fast. I primarily use it for shot on squirrels and rabbits, but it shoots ball fine.

Here is a link to a photo album that shows the Pedersoli as it came assembled out of the box, step by step until I finished it. It weighs in just a hair over 7.5 lbs., and the stock is American Black Walnut.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun Kit from start to finish

My Pedersoli trade gun is a nice shooter. Lock works good and it always goes boom. Flint life is really good. When heading for small game I sometimes swap it up to my Pedersoli Bess carbine because it has a sling. Sometimes cabelas has really good sales on either of those. Most times several hundred dollars less than elsewhere.

Thanks all, Appreciate all the input. Yes, looking at a smooth bore for round balls. I own a pedersoli Kentucky and so far trouble free. I just thought, maybe move into a custom, but patience just isn’t my virtue.

Have you considered a Caywood. I don’t know what their current wait times or prices are, but they are top notch smooth bites. Sometimes he has some in stock. The Wilson is very nice.

I got a trade gun from Caywood. It is very light, swings and sparks well. He sometimes has used guns and /or guns he built and the buyer didn't pay or backed out listed on his web sight. Danny was super to deal with and always responded to calls . I highly recommend him.

Have you considered a Caywood. I don’t know what their current wait times or prices are, but they are top notch smooth bites. Sometimes he has some in stock. The Wilson is very nice.
I got a trade gun from Caywood. It is very light, swings and sparks well. He sometimes has used guns and /or guns he built and the buyer didn't pay or backed out listed on his web sight. Danny was super to deal with and always responded to calls . I highly recommend him.
I emailed Caywood to check on their turn around time right now. Seems like a decent price for a decent gun, thanks.

Back