• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliant Black MZ

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For YEARS I shot only pyro or T7 though I had a can and a half of black. Why? Cuz it worked just fine and I wasn't sure I could get more black. My cans say $8.50 so its been awhile. Now that we can order "on-line" (something I had no clue to back then) I use real black much more. I have a few rifles that do much better (ignition wise) than with any sub. I can say I got some really really good groups with subs though. To each his own. Now go shoot something :blah:

I had never used anything except Goex since back when I started this in '74 until I seen MZ advertised at Sportsmans Warehouse a couple of months ago for $10 lb. I tried it in my cap locks and '51 Navy and went back and bought 10 more.

Yep, I absolutely would prefer to use the real stuff, if I could get it. And believe me, I will keep trying. But in the meantime, I really want to shoot! And this Alliant Black MZ has let me do that. I couldn't have gotten into the game without it. But I am plotting and scheming and planning to get the good stuff. But who knows when and where I'll find it?

Yep, two guys got speared to death a few months ago, with others in the fight being wounded. Good old wooden spears. That was at a community only a few hundred km to my east. Yesterday, we had to deliver a speech / lesson / lecture at school on the dangers of throwing even toy spears at each other, after one youngster got hit and hurt (not during school, thankfully).

As an aside, I recently read "Great South Land" about the early Dutch sailors encountering Terra Australis for the first time. In firelock versus spear encounters, the first conflicts between white and black in Australia, the Aboriginals inflicted more deaths and casualties on the Dutch and English than vice-versa. Really interesting read.

Columbus didn't have an easy time with the natives here either. On one of his voyages, he sent some boats ashore on St. Croix for fresh water. They were greeted by hostile Indians who inflicted quite a few casualties on his men.

G'day all,

Well, I have my flintlock and am enjoying learning how to use it. I have some fine-tuning ahead, but was able to kill a giant boar with my ninth shot (as in, at that stage I had only fired my flintlock eight times at termite hills, and then I found the boar). Dropped him in his tracks on the walk at sixty-five yards.

It's a .54" Pedersoli Frontier flintlock.

I am using 75 grains of Alliant Black MZ, touched-off by 4f.

I am liberal with my pan charge, and tilt-and-tap it through the hole, and then top the pan up again.

I have also installed an English flint from Track of the Wolf, held tight in kudu hide.

I absolutely love this rifle, and the traditional challenge and beauty of hunting with it.

Kind regards,

Ben

I shoot real black in my flintlocks. I can get it, but I have to drive a long ways to buy, real black, and it's pretty pricey. On the other hand, I can be at Sportman's Warehouse, in ten minutes and get a can of Black MZ for 9.99 minus a 5% military discount. The Black MZ really works good in the small calibers, due to no fowling. I shoot my pistols and small rifles a lot, and it just makes it less expensive. Packed tight, per manufacturers instructions, it is very accurate.

Hey, the government put all the regulations on the black powder, to the point where a business can't have it, unless they meet all the regulations. Pretty soon you'll have all the guns that you want and no powder or bullets. Imagine the most beautiful golf course in the world and no balls.

Yeah Mr. West I hear yah.Sucks out loud with a megaphone.I like real black but Hey, what can ya do?Use whats expedient.

Maybe three simple elements and a ball mill is the short answer!!

These guys I had over the weekend and they wanted to shoot some rifles.

I took them to 50 yards and had some fun plinking over a couple hours. They really liked the Hawken and Jim Shockeys Gold (Same thing as black MZ)

They did a great job considering that I drew the sights on a piece of paper and showed them how to aim.
IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

This powder is amazing for pictures as the smoke is THICK and lingers if theres no breeze.
IMG_7602.jpg

Jim Shockeys Gold (Same thing as black MZ)

This is debatable, and I would love to see any data that you have.

I will note that the MSDS sheets for Black MZ have been changed....It no longer lists Ascorbic acid as an ingredient Only carbon black and Potassium perchlorate...

It's also now listed as a possible carcinogen. :hmm:

So I guess the question is; Has Black MZ been reformulated?

colorado clyde said:
So I guess the question is; Has Black MZ been reformulated?
I'm guessing not really, they are changing the MSDS to SDS not only nationally but world wide. I know this stuff because I work with hazmat as part of my job and we get mandatory yearly training. https://www.msdsonline.com/blog/compliance-education/2012/08/20/from-msds-to-sds
It'll take another several years for everyone to get compliant, with new warning symbols and tests, it's supposed to be easier for anyone to read,, like folks are supposed to know TLV, PEL and PPE.
That "may cause cancer" is still from hairless high-bred lab rats wallowing around in the stuff for weeks then some lab tech finding a microscopic wart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back