• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy standard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody to their own thing. If I can consistently shoot a 5” group at 100 yards with a .54 caliber round ball, I’m happy. I know this is all I need to kill any deer. As it is, last time I shot my .54 GPR, I had holes touching from 75 yards.

With a conical, even a .50 caliber, 2” groups from 100 yards is acceptable, even for elk.

DSC_5055.Sjpg.jpg

This is what My Hawken will do at 50 yards off a rest. At 100 yards the gun shoots better than my eyes or my ability to keep it on point but I'll get 6" groups bumping up the load to 75 grains FFFg.

We all have good days at the range, and bad. For now, I’m working on hunting loads with PRBs. Hopefully this will fall into place fairly easily, but half the fun is in the range time.
I haven’t shat a game animal off hand in…. 40 years?? You always have time to find a rest, or at least go to kneeling. That will not change now. I have gotten very fond of shooting of sticks. A lot of my field practice is done that way.
G

In the center fire world, everyone is looking for the one inch group at 100 yards.
What is the Standard in the Black Powder world?
G

Depends on the pond you are in. In real life I don't come across people shooting some of groups people talk about here.
It's pretty much done as it is in the suppository world. Eventually everyone and every gun shoots the magical three shot MOA group. Known as an "internet group".

Best way to learn what's real is to get involved in competition and do your best and watch what others do. Keep it up and you will improve.

Many can't handle competition and decline to participate. Too much reality. Learn to enjoy the camaraderie and shoot against yourself.

The target below was shot at one hundred yards, offhand, with a 50 caliber flintlock rifle. 70 grains FFFg Goex, .490 round ball wrapped in a .018 lubed patch. It is my second best offhand target at that distance (did not have a camera on that day.) I can't do this every day, but it can be done. 49 XX

Attachments

• Close up 49 2x.jpeg
    Close up 49 2x.jpeg
    891 KB · Views: 0
It's pretty much done as it is in the suppository world. Eventually everyone and every gun shoots the magical three shot MOA group. Known as an "internet group".

Best way to learn what's real is to get involved in competition and do your best and watch what others do. Keep it up and you will improve.

Many can't handle competition and decline to participate. Too much reality. Learn to enjoy the camaraderie and shoot against yourself.
Good advice. In competition, meeting my own goals is what makes me happy. Placement is the luck of the day.

I went to the range today with a friend . After I shot several rounds my friend said where did the owner of that piece go? That is how bad I shoot now. All I could say is I traded my good shooting for ten more years. Old age takes everything but your memories and if you live long enough it will take that?

100yd Parker Hale Musketoon.
Load data is on the white diamond
musketoongroup1.jpg

10lb Parrott Rifled howitzer. We've done better 😁 There's 5 shots in the 4 ring. The photo doesn't give an indication of the light conditions. We were breaking out flashlights about 30min after this pic was taken.

315433494_204022672039390_5526832687338617359_n.jpg

In my neck of the woods there is generally two thoughts on accuracy. First are the competition shooters of all sorts who strive for groups much better than 1" at 100 yds. Then there are us average deer hunters. Every camp and hunter has its standards but mine is 2" to 2-1/2" at 50 yds. If my rifle can't do that it doesn't go in the field. Hunting ethics dictate that 100 yd shots should only be taken by a MLr who has practiced at that distance and knows they can make (and see) that shot.

Every camp and hunter has its standards but mine is 2" to 2-1/2" at 50 yds. If my rifle can't do that it doesn't go in the field. Hunting ethics dictate that 100 yd shots should only be taken by a MLr who has practiced at that distance
Wait! You mean, your standard is smaller than "minute of deer"? Smaller than your quarry's kill zone?!!!
Like,,, well,,,,, like insurance for something going wrong or having some type of pressure or stress at the time of the shot?!?!?!!!!
You do know this radical concept is going to blow the minds of many here,,,, and really piss some of them off at a religious level,,,, right?
The, "well Bubba, ah guess minute of _____ is good 'nuf," crowd is legion.
They are found in every shooting in both defensive shooting and all types of hunting,,, and they are staunch. Best of luck brother.

should only be taken by a MLr who has practiced at that distance
Wouldn't/shouldn't this be true for any distance?

I do believe ml is a short range weapon. Archery on steroids
Ball is a garbage projectile
Ml is low velocity with a rainbow trajectory
As a sport we have an near endless possibilities
Shooting for one hole at a hundred yards is one path,
going all traditional is another
An so many inbetween
A bess or Charlie has taken a ship load of meat, but can’t compete with the best target rifle, that will also fill the larder
I would hazard that no rifleman of early America or Central European forester could win a match at the nationals.
That no WTBS soldier could win at NSSA
Back in the ‘70s I had a book on ml. It had an article about a hunter that shot original besses and took moose regularly
His target was shown, no where near what me a kid could do with my Mowrey rifle, I thought why would he shoot such an inaccurate gun
Now I know

Back