• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you get 3 aimed shots a minute?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was curious what all you guys can do I know this is the old world gold standard I was trying it at the range with a 61 springfield and I could almost but not quite get there and it felt like I was flying impressive that these guys did it under fire reliably

It takes a little practice but it isn't all that difficult. One needs to be organized, focused and familiar with their equipment. Hints: stick your bayonet in the ground in front of you and rest your rammer on it rather than return it, take the top flap of your cartridge box and tuck it under the waist belt so the box is always open, turn the top flap of the cap box over and tuck it in your belt, get a good shooting stance and don't move from it, focus on the targets and never look away. Of course it goes without saying you need a proper fitting minie and an excellent lube. Having someone shooting back at you might help too. There was (no longer shooting) a skirmisher that could consistently get off 4 aimed shots per minute and a majority of them were hits, one of the best shooters in the N-SSA. Hey, if I could do it a caveman probably could too. ;)

Last edited:
It takes a little practice but it isn't all that difficult. One needs to be organized, focused and familiar with their equipment. Hints: stick your bayonet in the ground in front of you and rest your rammer on it rather than return it, take the top flap of your cartridge box and tuck it under the waist belt so the box is always open, turn the top flap of the cap box over and tuck it in your belt, get a good shooting stance and don't move from it, focus on the targets and never look away. Of course it goes without saying you need a proper fitting minie and an excellent lube. Having someone shooting back at you might help too. There was (no longer shooting) a skirmisher that could consistently get off 4 aimed shots per minute and a majority of them were hits, one of the best shooters in the N-SSA. Hey, if I could do it a caveman probably could too. ;)
ya i suppose it coming back your way is probably a big motivator!

I got off nine shots PRB in 3:45, saw Ted Spring ( sketch book 56 and others on f and I ) get off twenty three in that time. Flinters are a bit faster with cap guns

Last edited:
Not on the phone, im actually about to start building my second. I wonder would a single shot from a nock count as 3 shots under a min?
Where'd you even find a kit for one rifle shoppe? I am probably gonna do a kibler this year as my first kit since they seem pretty forgiving and like alot of gun for the money but that sounds like a cool one for down the road when I have a little more money and not a harbor freight arsenal

Where'd you even find a kit for one rifle shoppe? I am probably gonna do a kibler this year as my first kit since they seem pretty forgiving and like alot of gun for the money but that sounds like a cool one for down the road when I have a little more money and not a harbor freight arsenal
Yes rifle shop. I have MANY of their parts/sets and deal with them frequently

It's absolutely doable but it does take practice

2 minutes, rapid fire, 6 shots, 1 miss at 50yds. Target score of 8. 3 basic hits=3 1 on card=2 1 on bicycle=3. I got in a hurry on the last shot and pulled it right of target.

20160403_120957.jpg

Never tried with my percussion rifles but got to three aimed shots in a minute with my flintlock. In my hunting garb, powder horn(and pouch) on my right, loading block with patched/greased balls and starter on my upper left chest. Prime 3F from my powder horn. Lots of practice, and dealing with occasional dry balling to get there! I take my sweet time, and prime 4F from a charger when shooting next to , or on the bench.

I gotten 4 hits off in a minute before use rolled paper cartridges/smoothbore flintlock- grab tear prime, dump in barrel push down barrel cock fire repeat. Thats what they did in battle thats why they could get 3 shots off successfully. Trick is using a non-tight fitting combination and I wouldn't put ram rod back in gun but stick in in dirt standing on end. Not saying the ram rod stuck in dirt next to me was HC/PC but in my 23 years military time its what I'd of done. Smootbore makes it a dream

Last edited:
Back