• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About Selling Books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLZ

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this, so decided to start here. I can move it if asked.

The handwriting is on the wall for me, and I need to start weeding out gear and books. Over the last fifty-odd years I've managed to accumulate about 2,000 titles of respected resource material. Most of it is in excellent condition. What I'm trying to figure out is what is a fair price for a title in great condition. I've looked at ads here and elsewhere, without coming to a conclusion. Would 1/3 the price of new be fair? And yes, I know it's worth whatever someone will pay for it, but ...

Opinions welcome. Thank you.

I'm not sure where to put this, so decided to start here. I can move it if asked.

The handwriting is on the wall for me, and I need to start weeding out gear and books. Over the last fifty-odd years I've managed to accumulate about 2,000 titles of respected resource material. Most of it is in excellent condition. What I'm trying to figure out is what is a fair price for a title in great condition. I've looked at ads here and elsewhere, without coming to a conclusion. Would 1/3 the price of new be fair? And yes, I know it's worth whatever someone will pay for it, but ...

What something sold for in the past is not a good indicator of what it is worth today. Styles and interests change & some things go way up & others become hard to give away. Books are no exception. Bookfinder.com searches 1000s of sellers & will give you a good idea what different titles are priced.

I love books, and have a ton of them. A lot of the titles that interest folks like us are only printed in limited numbers, and they don’t all stay in print. As stated above, some of them are worth more now than when they were new. As an example, I bought a little paperback entitled Texas Crude in about the mid eighties, written by Ken Weaver and illustrated by R. Crumb. It’s an illustrated dictionary of Texas slang. I paid $4.95 for it. However, I looked it up on Amazon a while back and they were asking about $200 for used copies. I couldn’t believe it. Right now they show prices ranging from around $75 to $150. Still unbelievable.

If they are in good condition, and you just want to move them out, I think half the new price would be fair. The last time I sold books to a used book dealer, they were only paying 10% of the purchase price. I think you are wise to offer them here first.

If you want to take the trouble to research individual titles, I would recommend looking them up on AbeBooks.com, which is much more user-friendly than Amazon, and prices are more realistic. This should give an idea of what they are worth.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

Notchy Bob

I love books, and have a ton of them. A lot of the titles that interest folks like us are only printed in limited numbers, and they don’t all stay in print. As stated above, some of them are worth more now than when they were new. As an example, I bought a little paperback entitled Texas Crude in about the mid eighties, written by Ken Weaver and illustrated by R. Crumb. It’s an illustrated dictionary of Texas slang. I paid $4.95 for it. However, I looked it up on Amazon a while back and they were asking about $200 for used copies. I couldn’t believe it. Right now they show prices ranging from around $75 to $150. Still unbelievable.

If they are in good condition, and you just want to move them out, I think half the new price would be fair. The last time I sold books to a used book dealer, they were only paying 10% of the purchase price. I think you are wise to offer them here first.

If you want to take the trouble to research individual titles, I would recommend looking them up on AbeBooks.com, which is much more user-friendly than Amazon, and prices are more realistic. This should give an idea of what they are worth.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

Notchy Bob
Thanks, Notchy Bob. I hadn't considered ABE Books, but I'll check them out.

how about Notes on Southern Long Rifles by Jerry Nobles Volumes 1 thru 4 or any combo thereof???

Fusil de Chasse or NE Underhammers - If you have anything on them, I'm interested. Probably can't afford them, but interested.

Didn't see no ad, the poster is asking for suggestions. Really wit ole boy you need to lighten up a bit, seems to be a pattern developing with you on these types of posts.
YET it was posted among the ads.... not among the threads....
Now it has been moved so that he may get more input

LD

I use to trade,collect,sell old books .

An old timer told me to make a list then post it on your blog.
Do a little search for title and prices.
You have to decide if you want to sell the books at a fair price. because you've enjoyed them and you want other people to enjoy them and be able to afford them.

And don't be afraid to charge a little more if you have some titles that are well worth it.

One of my suggestions for the forum is that any books about hunting, shooting, camping, and related history be allowed to be sold here. Most of us have many interests other than just muzzle loading and enjoy reading on a variety of subjects. For example, I have Stuart Edwards Whites series on travels in Africa as well as Frederick Selous storeis of wandering in Africa, with a 4 bore muzzleloader, in his early days. John Taylors writing along with Theodore Roosevelt writings and Greeners The Gun and its Development, etc. etc. Oh well, I guess I'll just will them to the local library before I kick the bucket.

Latest posts

Back