• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A very short turkey season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Having survived torrential downpours and a nearby tornado touchdown yesterday evening, my hope was that a gobbler or two survived as this morning was out turkey opener.

Thankfully, the predicted rain for this morning held off as I found myself placing decoys in the predawn darkness.

My hide for the hunt was a double trunked sycamore with plenty of multi flora rose nearby for good cover. This tree stands in a very small thicket, the size of a southern Indiana bungalow, smack dab in the middle of a field that I had been watching a certain tom with 6-7 hens until a couple of days ago. They had vacated this field after the farmer had disced it. I was concerned but knew the birds couldn't be far.

Legal shooting was to start a half hour before sunrise, about 6:30. At 6:00 I heard two toms way off to the North of me. My calling coaxed a conversation out of a hen on a wooded ridge a hundred yards East of me. Thinking of Spence's advice of a year ago, I appreciated her help, and kept her yakking as best as I could. Still, no nearby gobbles were heard.

At 6:40, I not only heard but FELT a thundering gobble directly behind me and no more than 30 feet away! :shocked2:

The sneaky devil had came in silent and was on the edge of the thicket.

I didn't dare try to look. Instead I eased my gun (Lord love a flintlock fowler) onto my knee and pointed it at my nearby dummies. I figured this tom had gobbled because he couldn't see my spread through the dense thicket as he was on the opposite side. My thought was that it was tangled enough that he would want to go around, rather than through it to see what was on "the other side".

It didn't take him long.

Once he saw my Jake and two hens, he fluffed right up and put on quite the display. He nearly "spit" and "drummed" his brains out! :haha: I took it all in. The pale head against his dark full fan just glowed. THAT always gets me. :thumbsup:

Unlike last Spring, (the fowlers maiden voyage for a turkey), when I had reservations as a newbie with a percussion background, I knew what to expect this go-around. You see, I have really gotten to know and appreciate the gun, having used it all last Fall for squirrels (highly recommended).

With that experience came a calm confidence this morning as I lined up the turtle sight on Mr. Gobbler's neck, sixteen yards away.

The freshly knapped flint struck steel and we collected the bird with a "Skychief Special" load. :haha:

It was only 6:45, I couldn't believe it was over!

I wish I were a better writer, because again, I come up short expressing the deep satisfaction of being afield with these "old" guns and truly special quarry.

21 1/2#, 10", 1 1/8".

I'll see if Spence is willing to post a photo of the tom.

Good hunting to all, Skychief.

Skychief said:
I wish I were a better writer, because again, I come up short expressing the deep satisfaction of being afield with these "old" guns and truly special quarry.
Don't sell yourself short, you did a very good job of bringing me along on the hunt, and I felt that gobble plain as day.

Congratulations, excellent job, and the picture shows it. I love the bird, but even more the happy face.

I'm beginning to suspect you like turkey hunting.

Spence

Thanks a million Spence for posting the turkey photo.

I sure appreciate it. :hatsoff:

And yes, I love blackpowder turkey hunting. I guess it shows. :hmm:

Thanks again, Skychief

Wonderful - well done! It's very common for birds to get tight lipped after they hit the ground, and I've had several hunts when I've killed a tom that never made a sound. I know exactly what you mean about "feeling" a close gobble - you can even pick up the rattling sound that comes with it and is lost past about 40-50 yards.

To me, there's no greater experience than bagging a mature tom with a flintlock!

Also... I wasn't aware of the "Skychief Special" load, so I used the search function and found the long thread about it. After testing many combinations of powder/shot with the traditional loading (powder, hard card/fibre wad, shot, 1 o/s card) I read and ended up testing and settling on powder, 4 o/s cards, shot, 1 o/s card). My patterns are much better than the consistent doughnut hole I was getting the regular loading. I will be giving your Special loading a try now though! :hatsoff:

Well played sir.

No heavy magnum cartridges, turkey chokes, dressing like a bush and silly pop up binds.
Just field craft, respect and patience :thumbsup:

B.

Great story Skychief and congrats!! Terrific hunt.....enjoy the "easy" ones. They make up for the days where you get your heart spurred day in and day out ;)

Thanks Wattlebuster. :thumbsup:

Thanks Baron. This tom never even gobbled from his limb! Very sneaky :hmm: . And yes, I heard the rattle in his one and only surprise gobble so close and straight behind me. :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: Good luck with the Skychief Special loading. Is your gun unchoked? Feel free to PT me if you like.

I sure appreciate your comments Britsmoothy. I think we have a lot of kindred spirits around here. :thumbsup:

Matt, I've earned a few spur marks on my heart too. :haha:. And yes, I did enjoy this one. Thanks!

Best regards all, Skychief

Great Job!! :hatsoff:

On the Hunt and on the Story! That is the magic of hunting, No matter how you write the story it is never the same as actually being there.

The story gives us all a picture in our minds to share with you. The Magic is the piece you get to keep for yourself and is what makes it special!!

That is what keeps us going back for more!

Again Great Job!!!

You are right jrm.

Deputy Dog, you keep yours dry too. Thanks!

Thanks ny griz.

Hey Mike, funny you'd mention carpenter bees. I've been swatting some with a badminton racket. Each time that one bites the dust, I smile and think of my friend Spence! :haha: literally. :thumbsup:

Best regards all and good hunting, Skychief

I was very happy to hear of your success. I was fortunate to draw a tag for the first season since the 1800's for the Harrison Crawford State Forest, in the early 70's, (I didn't see any and didn't know how to hunt or call them, but I do now). At that time, muzzle loading shotguns were not legal to use. BTW, I am moving back to Indiana at the end of May.....robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to report that the birds in Indiana have been particularly quiet this Spring by most reports. Funny how at times they'll gobble like mad and others, not.

I've heard that they've been kind of hush-mouthed in other states too.

Good luck to you all and keep your heads on a slow swivel, Skychief

Birds in Ontario are henned up and not gobbling much after fly down. I'm tagged out now, but wish we got a 3rd tag because there's often some great hunting late in the season.

I was in NY for their opener. Rainy and the birds were very quiet. Hunted 3 days and came home empty handed.

Sounds familiar. The toms here were pretty well done with the hens, but now, I'm seeing both together again.

I think a few nests were flooded with all this rain and many are having a second go of it.

Best regards, Skychief

Latest posts

Back