• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Spout For Those Plastic GOEX Canisters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm right there with AZ. I saved my old metal cans, and refill them. I made a spout out of an old .243 Winchester shell, soldered to the cap. The cap is covered with an old 38 special case. BTW, the caps from MEC powder and shot bottles are the same size......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonie said:
Good idea. :thumbsup:

Now, I know the old timers already know this so I'm talking to the new muzzleloaders here.

As neat and easy to use as these spouts are, do not be tempted to pour any kind of gunpowder directly from the spout to the bore of your gun.

Pour the powder into a separate powder measure and recap the spout.
Then use the powder measure to pour the powder into the barrel.

Although the chance is very small, a lingering ember or bit of smoldering fouling can ignite the new powder charge and the last thing anyone would want is to be holding a open can of powder in the ensuing flame.

Amen, Bro. That advice cannot be repeated too often. :thumbsup:

Rifleman1776 said:
Amen, Bro. That advice cannot be repeated too often. :thumbsup:

Amen squared! I've flash-burned the hair off my face twice through the years from an ember in the barrel and not holding the muzzle away from my body...you'd have thought I'd learn the first time! Never, never, ever pour powder from any container, flask or horn...the risk is too high and it'll be like holding a hand grenade! :nono:

Besides giving MLing shooters something to think about, there's another reason why the powder company went to plastic containers....they cost less. In an effort to hold the line on prices, these lower priced plastic containers should be welcomed and the company congratulated.

Something "new" sometimes isn't readily accepted by some....but eventually....Fred

Once I acquired enough cans to refill them I quit saving more but my cans all say DuPont.

William Alexander

I've always heard that BP in any plastic container is hazardous due to static electricity being generated, if it is shaken vigorously, and or, especially in cold weather. This is why the Lyman No. 55 Black Powder measure is equipped with an aluminum hopper instead of the plastic ones that are standard on the smokeless powder measures.

mtmanjim said:
I've always heard that BP in any plastic container is hazardous due to static electricity being generated, if it is shaken vigorously, and or, especially in cold weather. This is why the Lyman No. 55 Black Powder measure is equipped with an aluminum hopper instead of the plastic ones that are standard on the smokeless powder measures.

And where did this information come from?

In the era of law suits what company would be so stupid to put stuff in a dangerous container???????

The static electricity created by shaking or rubbing plastic containers on things like rugs or black powder doesn't have enough amperage to produce the heat needed to ignite black powder.

It has very high voltage so it can jump relatively large distances but without the amperage it will do nothing.

Add to this, the carbon in the charcoal in the black powder is a good conductor of electricity.

That allows the electricity to easily flow around the outside of the black powder particle without creating any heat.

GOEX, SWISS and all of the other companies that sell black powder package their product in plastic containers.
If there was any danger at all, I am sure they would go back to the old steel cans they used to use.

My statement......"This is why the Lyman No. 55 Black Powder measure is equipped with an aluminum hopper instead of the plastic ones that are standard on the smokeless powder measures."

Copied and pasted from Lyman No 55 Black Powder Measure Literature:

Lyman has redesigned the 55 Powder Measure for both smokeless and black powder. A must for black powder cartridge silhouette and cowboy action shooters. The internal metering bars rotate in a non-sparking brass sleeve. A large non-static aluminum powder reservoir holds a pound of black powder. The unique three-slide adjustment bars are the key to consistent accuracy from small pistol charges to the largest rifle charges with accuracy to a fraction of a grain. Handles up to 200 grains volume of Black Powder or Pyrodex Powder. Mounts on the bench or directly on a press or powder measure stand and includes a 7/8 x 14 adapter. Model without drop tubes also available.

I don't know Richard, maybe they just suppose - why take any chances?

Back