• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A newbie with a Charleville

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLIV

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, you helped me get going with a T/C .50 now I need some advice on this .69 -

I'm using pillow ticking for patch and need to know what size ball and load to moderate plinking. I'm guessing I need some 3f for the pan and 2f for the load..?

Thanks for being patient with me. Here's a pic of my craigslist find..anyone have one of these? please review yours.

(the other is a 1803 Harpers Ferry - both Navy Arms)

2mq7r5i.jpg

I can't help with ball size. Measure the bore and work from there. Or wait for others to reply here. If you are going to use a separate primer powder choose 4Fg. Others will give varying opinions on that, it is one of those never ending debates. 2Fg will work but, in my experience with a Brown Bess, it is notably slower.

Welcome to the ranks of the Musketeers. Shooting Smoothbore Musket is a whole new World, quite different even from shooting a "Smooth Rifle" or Fowler. Nothing, IMHO, can duplicate the experience of standing on your hind legs and cutting loose with a big honking Musket.

You can obviously shoot patched balls, but I would suggest that, to make the experience complete, that you explore Paper Cartridges too. You'll find lots in the Archive; simply punch in "Paper Cartridges".

As far as loads, as with any weapon you'll have to sort out what works best for you and the Musket. The competition guys often use lighter loads, but, while more accurate, the Rainbow trajectory can be a bit problematic if shooting at a wide variety of ranges. With my .69 Charleville I generally use Paper Cartridges and 80/85 grs. 2F, which puts it Dead-On at 50yds. Shooting a patched ball with over-powder Card & Fiber Wad and 60grs. 3F gave deadly accuracy, but Point of Impact was a quite a bit lower.

Also, be aware that while with a Rifle a .005 undersize ball may work fine with a .018 patch, the same combo with a Smoothbore may be impossibly tight, cuz without the grooves of the rifling the wrinkles in the patch have nowhere to go - I find with my Charleville that a .672 Ball with a Pillow Tick Patch is fairly tight, especially when shooting 40/50 shots a session.

With paper cartridges I use a .662 Ball with either .005 Newsprint or .004 Liquor Store Brown Paper Bottle Bags (Excellent Results - Very Tough Stuff, despite how thin it is).

TOW offers a variety of cast balls suitable for playing around with a .69 caliber Musket - but Rifleman is right - you probaly do need to ascertain what exactly for bore size you have...

Eric

ps - While you can use 2F for priming, I do find that 3 or 4F tends to be a little quicker, and it also tends to burn a little cleaner...

wow, that's the kind of advice I was hoping for. Thank you very much as I had'nt thought of the paper cartridges even though I've heard of them. Definately will be giving that a looksee.

Went to my first rondezvous couple months ago. Guess I don't need to say how fun that was. This charleville may help me choose a character to be.

I think I did ok, these two flintlocks were on craigslist for $50 each. I thought at the very least they'd be nice wallhangers for that. Now I'm excited to make some smoke.

Thanks again

eeeeeks!

Yikes!

gulp...youre kidding right?

I better go pray.

The thread I found with pics on making paper cartridges has no pics any more. Anyone got a link to a similar thread? It's sounds like my kind of loading.

XLIV said:
wow, that's the kind of advice I was hoping for. Thank you very much as I had'nt thought of the paper cartridges even though I've heard of them. Definately will be giving that a looksee.

Went to my first rondezvous couple months ago. Guess I don't need to say how fun that was. This charleville may help me choose a character to be.

I think I did ok, these two flintlocks were on craigslist for $50 each. I thought at the very least they'd be nice wallhangers for that. Now I'm excited to make some smoke.

Thanks again

If you are real new to this bp game, do get those guns looked at by an experienced shooter before you charge them up. They may have been made to be only wallhangers. Might be OK but do play safe and have them looked at.

xliv, I also have a charlievillle, I use .675 ball in mine, what some of the fellas are saying is you need to use calipers and measure your bore. a .69 cal should.690, many times that will vary depending on manufacturer. to be sure measure, and hen use anywhere fron.15 to.25 undersized ball. The charlieville is a older style gun pre revolutionary war. a person could actually carry it up to civil war time frame, Many old guns were used by several generations beyond the original user. you can go foreward with a old gun and be pc correct easier than you can go backwards with a later style, foreward works backwards dont yours hounddog

Your advice is good and timely. I contacted a member of a local BP club who looked them over closely and concluded theya re original Navy Arms in good working order. Thanks for the thought..

doswo5.jpg

serial number 1992

w1sebq.jpg

and it mics to .69

fu5l60.jpg

..and the 1803 (.58 rifle)

2mo2hyh.jpg

I'm all giddy now..perhaps by this weekend I'll have they stuff to fire it. Thanks again to you all -

Houndog - do you shoot a patch or paper cartridge with that .675?

I'm seriously leaning towards 'rolling my own' as suggested. Read somewhere to dip the ball end in beeswax/tallow as a lube. Anyone try taht? Would love to see some pics.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back