• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a little ffffg thing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in with the people who have a backup refill bottle in their box. I also have another primer in my box. I use 4F because I have it. I also use 7F because I bought a couple of pounds some years ago. When I run out I'll probably try the 3F priming.

I use one of the small percussion pistol flasks as recommended by nchawkeye with great satisfaction. Also, if you just have to have fine priming powder, pour a little 2 or 3 F in the pan, and crunch it down some with the butt end of a stick you have broken off somewhere before closing the frizzen.

Sean,

Why not make a primer out of antler or small horn tip/piece, and size it accordingly? You can get 1gr. and 3gr. spring tip valves from TOTW.

1 gr. valve

3 gr. valve

Us a piece of antler tip long enough that the bit will go the whole way in when chucked. Then take a smaller bit, and drill out the inside more with a couple of runs. Pay attention you don't nick up the hole for the valve.

Before putting the valve in the bone, you can fill it with 4Fg to see volume. Drill out more until you get what you want.

Then shape it up around the valve, and a little brown shoe polish will take it back to natural look!

Rifleman1776 said:
smoothshooter said:
Why is a glass container bad for BP?

Glass can break and spill powder in unwanted locations. And broken glass can cut you.

Also the glass container can act like a magnifying glass if the glass container is left in the direct sunlight setting off the blackpowder inside.

Any small bottle will work. Ask your pharmacist if he will sell or give you a small screw top bottle. If keeping it looking HC is an issue, you can wrap the bottle in leather. If you are concerned about the bottle being subject to breaking, I saw some half pint metal hip flasks in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart that are intended for carrying booze but will do just fine for carrying an extra bit of 4f and will fit in your pocket.

Get a bigger priming HORN. It should hold enough powder to prime all the powder in the main horn plus some extra for reprimed. Many of the metal flasks are made too strong and can result in serious explosions if there is an accident.

Dan

But, Dan, what about all of the metal Goex cans and all of the brass flasks? :hmm:

The risk seems small, especially since we are not talking about large containers or quantities of powder. The biggest cut threat related to flintlocks is the infamous flint cut, of which I manage to get several each year . But then again I shoot and clean a lot ( year around). The few times I have dropped and broken a glass object, clean up was a two or three minute affair at most, no gloves, no cuts.

Billnpatti said:
But, Dan, what about all of the metal Goex cans and all of the brass flasks? :hmm:

I suggest you look at the THICKNESS of the material. Cans and flasks are very thin. Flasks were thin and soft soldered for good reason. Those made of tubing often are too strong. The more BP is contained the worse the "boom" when the container finally breaks, so instead of a fast fire you get a high pressure explosion perhaps with high velocity fragments. This is why its not a good idea to GLUE the base plug in a powder horn.

Dan

Your local Walmart has a section for"travel size" stuff. I found there a small plastic "bottle" (maybe 3 oz.) with a lid that screws off for filling and a flip up top that exposes a pour spout that is great for refilling priming flasks. Holds enough to refill my priming flasks several times.

I saw some half pint metal hip flasks in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart that are intended for carrying booze but will do just fine for carrying an extra bit of 4f and will fit in your pocket.[/quote]

Fill up your "drinking" flask with powder!? My God, man, don't you know some things are sacred? :blah:

Sean Gadhar said:
When I take my Flint to the range I sometimes run low/out of FFFFg in my priming flask right at the end. I don't want to lug a pound of FFFFg with me & I don't want to run short. FFFFg in a regular flask seems unwise. I just need one refill of the priming flask (one tablespoon full or so) I was thinking a small glass jar :idunno:

Any one else had & solved this?

I simply use 3f for both main charge and prime, it eliminates the need to carry two separate powders and does not foul so easily in damp weather.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Back