• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A flintlock hunting question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daniel,
I'm sure the annual rebirth of interest occurs all over the country. We didn't have a dedicated BP section and so had to deal with all the suppository riflemen "Zeroing In". We would get them all the assistance we could so they would more quickly leave. I alwas was aware that some of the modern rifles shot very powerful rounds that made head splitting pains in your tea and was particularly religious about wearing ear protectors.
What frightened me was how frequently the modern riflemen showed up somewhat drunk bit figured they would probably go hunting in the same condition..
I have had successful students from the preceding year rerun to the range after the long Springand Summer absence who had forgotten just about everything from the year before.
'The powder has to be behind the patched ball, so obviously you put the patched bll down the barrel first followed by the powder closely behind." I always carried my nipple wrench in a handy place for these deep thinkers.

But you are quite correct. It's all good.

Dutch

As everyone says, the most important factor is your shooting skills. But let me add one more thing:

Where do you hunt?

If the eastern woods, then odds of you taking a shot past 50 yards are low. In over 25 years of blackpowder deer hunting. I only took a 70 yard shot once. All other were under 50 yards.

Preparing for a trip to Wyoming this year, I discovered that I am a lousy long distance shot, due to lack of practice, and started going to the range more regularly and shooting long shots. Progress has been slow but steady.

So in summary, I say practice the most likely scenario for your environment and you should be fine.

Back