• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple of rifles that need some love

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSnave

32 Cal
Reaction score
As a younger man I walked out of the theater after seeing "Last of the Mohicans" with stars in my eyes. I told my dad about it and that Christmas under the tree was a Cabela's Hawken in .45 caliber. I never got it put together, but that kit has followed me for 30 years. I finally dug it out, along with all the bits I could find and took an inventory last fall. Unsurprisingly, some parts were missing but some internet research and money got everything I needed and I'm finally getting around to putting it together. Then last week I picked up a Spanish-made Armsport Hawken in .50 off GB. Seller says the lock isn't working correctly and it's missing some small parts. Is there any source of parts for these? Looks like It's missing one of the screws that hold the lock on (whatever that's called), barrel wedge, hammer screw, most of the rear sight assembly, and there are mismatched screws that will need to be changed out. If I can't fix the lock I'll have to replace it, if there are replacements out there. The stock needs some oil, and the barrel finish is pretty much non-existent. Should be fun!

pix348373819.jpg

When I left the theater after watching The Last of the Mohicans I was exhausted from watching all the running... 🤣
My brother said some of his hunters the next year were afraid he would make them do the “Mohican Trot” after elk at 9000’ elevation… it was the most unique elk hunting technique I’ve ever seen.

To the OP… pick one of the good suppliers and maybe spend some time on the phone with them. I’m sure that most of the parts are easily sourced. Have fun!

My brother said some of his hunters the next year were afraid he would make them do the “Mohican Trot” after elk at 9000’ elevation… it was the most unique elk hunting technique I’ve ever seen.

To the OP… pick one of the good suppliers and maybe spend some time on the phone with them. I’m sure that most of the parts are easily sourced. Have fun!
Even as a man in my late 30s at the time and in pretty good condition, that much running fatigued me just to watch...:)

As a younger man I walked out of the theater after seeing "Last of the Mohicans" with stars in my eyes. I told my dad about it and that Christmas under the tree was a Cabela's Hawken in .45 caliber. I never got it put together, but that kit has followed me for 30 years. I finally dug it out, along with all the bits I could find and took an inventory last fall. Unsurprisingly, some parts were missing but some internet research and money got everything I needed and I'm finally getting around to putting it together. Then last week I picked up a Spanish-made Armsport Hawken in .50 off GB. Seller says the lock isn't working correctly and it's missing some small parts. Is there any source of parts for these? Looks like It's missing one of the screws that hold the lock on (whatever that's called), barrel wedge, hammer screw, most of the rear sight assembly, and there are mismatched screws that will need to be changed out. If I can't fix the lock I'll have to replace it, if there are replacements out there. The stock needs some oil, and the barrel finish is pretty much non-existent. Should be fun!

View attachment 318308
Try Numrich Gun Parts in New Yook. They might have something you can use. Also, Google gun parts suppliers or muzzleloading gun parts supplier. You might get lucky.

Even as a man in my late 30s at the time and in pretty good condition, that much running fatigued me just to watch...:)

I've been a dedicated runner ever since I was a kid. So even though older than 30 I should have been up to that same run. The only thing I'd worry about would be tripping over logs and stepping in holes. Maybe they were more agile back then?

Day-Lewis was a dedicated actor. From Wiki:
"Day-Lewis starred in the American film The Last of the Mohicans (1992), based on a novel by James Fenimore Cooper. Day-Lewis's character research for this film was well-publicised; he reportedly underwent rigorous weight training, and learned to live off the land and forest where his character lived, camping, hunting, and fishing.[27] Day-Lewis also added to his wood-working skills, and learned how to make canoes.[44] He carried a long rifle at all times during filming to remain in character.[27][45]"
To the OP: Congratulations for finding your way back to that rifle. Hope you bring both of them to life.

Well, the rifle in the picture arrived last night and I've spent some time measuring and pondering. Then I made an order to Track of the Wolf for nearly as much as I originally paid for the rifle. After looking it over, it has been christened the "Nuthin' Special". I would kind of like to find the individual who put boogered-up round-head screws in several spots and show them the error of their ways.

The lock is doing something odd. When it's on the rifle, it won't come to full cock, but take it off and it works just fine. All I can figure is the trigger bar is pressing up on the sear and interfering with it. I'll have to pull the triggers and see what's going on there.

I've been a dedicated runner ever since I was a kid. So even though older than 30 I should have been up to that same run. The only thing I'd worry about would be tripping over logs and stepping in holes. Maybe they were more agile back then?
I really doubt they ran after elk like that. In moccasins in mountain terrain? You’d be on your butt more than you’d be on your feet.

Well, the rifle in the picture arrived last night and I've spent some time measuring and pondering. Then I made an order to Track of the Wolf for nearly as much as I originally paid for the rifle. After looking it over, it has been christened the "Nuthin' Special". I would kind of like to find the individual who put boogered-up round-head screws in several spots and show them the error of their ways.

The lock is doing something odd. When it's on the rifle, it won't come to full cock, but take it off and it works just fine. All I can figure is the trigger bar is pressing up on the sear and interfering with it. I'll have to pull the triggers and see what's going on there.
I have had trouble with the hammer not fully cocking on old muzzleloaders I have acquired. Upon taking the gun apart, and the lock, I have learned that a good scrubbing and then oiling the lock sometimes helps. Try it. It can't hurt anything.

And since I'm not gettin' any younger, I got the 45 dry fit together this afternoon. The barrel and tang need to be browned, sights installed, and I'll probably put a coat of oil on the ramrod, but she's probably 90% complete. It's sad to say, but the quality of this rifle is so far above the Spanish 50 it's hard to believe.

Right_inthewhite.jpg

Left_inthewhite.jpg

Latest posts

Back